The latest issue of Newtype magazine has revealed the full visual for the recent Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica concept movie that was produced for the 40th anniversary of studio Shaft’s (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi).Click on the image for the full resolution
An interview with producer Kubota in the same Newtype issue has revealed new details about the recent concept movie and the future of the series. The concept movie was intended to be an “extravagant” series of image boards, where animators draw scenes that capture the atmosphere and mood of the series. The movie itself will be an integral part of a new project and will act as a trailer leading up to its production. All scenes showcased in the movie will be implemented in the new project, and the anime’s staff is hard at work recreating the scenes. The project will have a strong focus on Mami, described as a “God of Battle”, akin to Guan Yu from The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
The concept movie of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica features the magical girls of the anime performing ballet, in new designs from character designer Ume Aoki . A camera quality leak of the full concept movie was taken by Reddit user blenderben:
The concept movie was shown at the studio’s 40th anniversary event, ~Commemorating 40 Years of Shaft~ Madogatari, that featured a snippet of a new story a potential new anime in the works. The event itself was earlier revealed when the Madogatari crossover website was launched.
The new Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica concept movie is a result of the main production team behind the anime continuing various meetings for new ideas since the release of the third film, Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica: Rebellion. The team itself consists of:
- Director: Akiyuki Simbo (Nisekoi, [email protected])
- Series Composer: Gen Urobuchi (Psycho-Pass, Suisei no Gargantia)
- Character Designer: Ume Aoki (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
For the new concept movie, the staff includes the returning members:
- Director: Yukihiro Miyamoto (Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies, Arakawa Under the Bridge)
- Alternate Space Designer: Gekidan Inu Curry (Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies)
- Animation Director: Junichiro Taniguchi (Pokémon, Prison School)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Animation Studio: Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi)
The main cast of the anime also returns to voice new lines for concept:
- Aoi Yuuki (Tooru Ichii in A-Channel) as Madoka Kaname
- Chiwa Saito (Hitagi Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari) as Homura Akemi
- Ai Nonaka (Fuuko Ibuki in Clannad) as Kyouko Sakura
- Kaori Mizuhashi (Minami Shimada from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu) as Mami Tomoe
- Emiri Katou (Hideyoshi Kinoshita from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu) as Kyuubey
Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) is an original anime series that aired in 2011. The series was produced by Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi), and was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo (Bakemonogatari). The series was written by Gen Urobuchi (Fate/zero, Aldnoah.Zero) and the character designs were done by Ume Aoki and Takahiro Kishida. The series received great reception breaking Blu ray sale records, where the franchise has grossed over ¥40 Billion to date. The series was also live streamed on Niconico where over 1 million people watched the series. In addition to the TV series, a trilogy of movies were also released. The first two films recapped the anime series and the final movie, Rebellion, had an original story set after the anime.
Here is the synopsis from MAL:
She has a loving family and best friends, laughs and cries from time to time… Madoka Kaname, an eighth grader of Mitakihara middle school, is one of those who lives such a life. One day, she had a very magical encounter. She doesn’t know if it happened by chance or by fate yet. This is a fateful encounter that can change her destiny—this is a beginning of the new story of the magical girls.
The new Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica concept movie was previously shown at the 40th anniversary of Shaft. Further details about the new project will be revealed in due time.
“Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica”, “Puella Magi Madoka Magica”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2015 SHAFT and Madoka Partners