Animation studio Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi) have announced that they have been working on a new concept movie for a new Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Puella Magi Madoka☆Magica) story that will be unveiled at the studio’s 40th anniversary event.
The movie will be shown for the studio’s 40th anniversary, ~Commemorating 40 Years of Shaft~ Madogatari, that features a snippet of a new story a potential new anime in the works. The event itself was earlier revealed when the Madogatari crossover website was launched.
The new Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica concept movie is a result of the main production team behind the anime continuing various meetings for new ideas since the release of the third film, Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica: Rebellion. The team itself consists of:
- Director: Akiyuki Simbo (Nisekoi, [email protected])
- Series Composer: Gen Urobuchi (Psycho-Pass, Suisei no Gargantia)
- Character Designer: Ume Aoki (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
For the new concept movie, the staff includes the returning members:
- Director: Yukihiro Miyamoto (Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies, Arakawa Under the Bridge)
- Alternate Space Designer: Gekidan Inu Curry (Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movies)
- Animation Director: Junichiro Taniguchi (Pokémon, Prison School)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Animation Studio: Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi)
The main cast of the anime also returns to voice new lines for concept:
- Aoi Yuuki (Tooru Ichii in A-Channel) as Madoka Kaname
- Chiwa Saito (Hitagi Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari) as Homura Akemi
- Ai Nonaka (Fuuko Ibuki in Clannad) as Kyouko Sakura
- Kaori Mizuhashi (Minami Shimada from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu) as Mami Tomoe
- Emiri Katou (Hideyoshi Kinoshita from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu) as Kyuubey
Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) is an original anime series that aired in 2011. The series was produced by Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Nisekoi), and was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo (Bakemonogatari). The series was written by Gen Urobuchi (Fate/zero, Aldnoah.Zero) and the character designs were done by Ume Aoki and Takahiro Kishida. The series received great reception breaking Blu ray sale records, where the franchise has grossed over ¥40 Billion to date. The series was also live streamed on Niconico where over 1 million people watched the series. In addition to the TV series, a trilogy of movies were also released. The first two films recapped the anime series and the final movie, Rebellion, had an original story set after the anime.
Here is the synopsis from MAL:
She has a loving family and best friends, laughs and cries from time to time… Madoka Kaname, an eighth grader of Mitakihara middle school, is one of those who lives such a life. One day, she had a very magical encounter. She doesn’t know if it happened by chance or by fate yet. This is a fateful encounter that can change her destiny—this is a beginning of the new story of the magical girls.
The new Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica concept movie will be available online soon, which will follow a brand new story. It has not been confirmed whether or not this will spark a new anime project.
Source Article – Anime News Network
“Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica”, “Puella Magi Madoka Magica”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2015 SHAFT and Madoka Partners