At today’s pre-screening event for the second season of the anime adaptation of Ayano Takeda and Nikki Asada’s Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) novel series it was announced that the first episode of the series will be an hour long. In addition, the main theme songs and second promotional video were also revealed.
The first episode of the anime will be an hour long special. It will broadcast on the midnight of Wednesday, October 5th (effectively October 6th) on Tokyo MX. The anime will also air on the 6th at 1:00am JST on TVK, at 2:05am JST on TV Aichi and at 2:14am JST on ABC Asahi. It will also start airing from the 7th on KBS Kyoto at 1:30am JST and on BS11 at 2:00am JST.
The main theme songs of the anime was also revealed. The Opening theme will be the song Soundscape performed by TRUE and the Ending theme song will be Vivace! performed by Kitauji Quartet, the anime’s main cast.
Here is the anime’s second promotional video, which introduces new characters and previews the OP:
Here is the first PV:
Two new supporting cast members of the anime were introduced for season 2:
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) joins the cast to voice Masahiro Hashimoto
- Houko Kuwashima (Tomoyo Sakagami in Clannad) will voice Satomi Niiyama
The main cast of the anime returns from the 1st season:
- Tomoyo Kurosawa (Miria Akagi in The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls) is back to voice Kumiko Oumae
- Ayaka Asai (Mio Naruse from Shinmai Maou no Testament) as Hazuki Katou
- Moe Toyota (Sakura Inami in Kyoukai no Kanata) who voices Sapphire Kawashima
- Chika Anzai (Chaika Travant in Hitsugi no Chaika) is voicing Reina Kousaka
- Minako Kotobuki (Tsumugi Kotobuki in K-ON!) returns to voice Asuka Tanaka
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Haruka Ogasawara
- Minori Chihara (Yuki Nagato in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) voices Kaori Nakaseko
- Konomi Fujimura (First Major Role) back as Natsuki Nakagawa
- Yuri Yamaoka (Choi Mochimazzi in Tamako Market) is going to voice Yuuko Yoshikawa
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) will voice Noboru Taki
The main production staff of the anime includes:
- Director: Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Series Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Jukki Hanada (Steins;Gate, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Anime Character Designer: Akiko Ikeda (K-ON! and Tokyo Ghoul Animator)
- Instrument Designer: Takahashi Hiroyuki (K-ON!)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Music Composer: Akito Matsuda (GLASSLIP, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park)
Kyoto Animation are also running a campaign celebrating the birthdays of the series’ main character.
Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso (Sound! Euphonium) is a music novel series written by Ayano Takeda and illustrated by Nikki Asada. The series began in December 2013 being published by Takarajimasha. To date a total of 4 volumes have been published. A manga adaptation of the series was launched in November last year, by Ayano Takeda and Hami that is being published in Takarajimasha’s Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Web magazine. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Spring 2015 anime season by Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park) with Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) directing. The anime ran for a total of 13 episodes. An anime film was produced in early 2016 with a second season coming this Fall/Autumn.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Hibike! Euphonium begins when Kumiko Oumae, a girl who was in the brass band club in junior high school, visits her high school’s brass band club as a first year. Kumiko’s classmates Hazuki and Sapphire decide to join the club, but Kumiko sees her old classmate Reina there and hesitates. She remembers an incident she had with Reina at a brass band club contest in junior high school.
The second season of the Hibike! Euphonium anime will air every Thursday at the stroke of midnight starting from October 6th on Tokyo MX with an hour episode, during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season. Further information about the series will be revealed very soon.
"Hibike! Euphonium", "Sound! Euphonium", images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Ayano Takeda, Takarajimasha, Kyoto Animation and the Hibike! Production Committee