The official website of the anime adaptation of Nagomu Torii and Tomoyo Kamoi’s Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary) light novel series has announced that the 2012 TV anime will be released as a Blu-ray Boxset on February 17.
The Blu-ray boxset of the anime will come with all 12 episodes of the anime and the OVA, among other video bonuses in full 1080 HD. In addition to the anime, there will also be:
- A special three way digipak case
- A 32 page full coloured booklet that includes character introduction, side stories and a new short story
- A collection of storyboards
- CD of the Radio show
- All episodes of the Kyoukai no Kanata: Idol Saiban! Mayoi Nagara mo Kimi wo Sabaku Tami ONA series
- All episodes of the Kyoukai no Kanata: Mini Theater specials
The boxset will include Japanese subtitles and will be out on February 17 in Japan for ¥26,000 (~ US$217.50) without tax.
Kyoto Animation has also released a commercial for the boxset:
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Risa Taneda (Aya Komichi in Kiniro Mosaic) will reprise her role as Mirai Kuriyama
- KENN (Hibito Nanba from Uchuu Kyoudai) will return as Akihito Kanbara
- Minori Chihara (Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) back as Mitsuki Nase
- Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Makoto Tachibana in Free!) returning as Hiroomi Nase
- Ayako Kawasumi (Saber from Fate/stay night) back as Izumi Nase
- Masaya Matsukaze (Yasunori Kuroki in Nodame Cantabile) will voice Miroku Fujima
- Akeno Watanabe (Rito Yuuki from To LOVE-Ru) as Shizuku Ninomiya
The main staff members will also be returning for the movies:
- Director: Taichi Ishidate (Kyoukai no Kanata, Nichijou Assistant Director)
- Script Writer and Series Composer: Jukki Hanada (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Love Live! School idol project)
- Anime Character Designer: Miku Kadowaki (Kyoukai no Kanata, Amagi Brilliant Park)
- Music Composer: Hikaru Nanase (Infinite Stratos, Galaxy Angel)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Free!)
The series received two film adaptations known as Kyoukai no Kanata: I’ll Be Here. The first film, subtitled Kako-hen (The Past), is a compilation film of the entire TV anime series remastered for cinema that was released on March 15th, 2015. Kyoukai no Kanata: I’ll Be Here – Mirai-hen is the second film that was released on April 25th, and is a direct sequel to the 2012 anime series.
Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary) is a light novel series written by Nagomu Torii and illustrated by Tomoyo Kamoi. The series was first an entry in Kyoto Animation’s Award program in 2011, where it received an honourable mention. The series began being published in 2012 in Kyoto Animation’s KA Esma Bunko imprint. To date there has been a total of 3 volumes published. The series received a TV anime adaptation from Kyoto Animation (K-ON!, Free!) in Fall/Spring 2013, which was directed by Taichi Ishidate (first director role). A few OVAs and a website series were also released following the TV anime, with the prequel OVA in 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
The dark fantasy follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half youmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.
The Blu-ray boxset of the Kyoukai no Kanata anime will release in Japan on February 17th for ¥26,000 (~ US$217.50) without tax.
“Kyoukai no Kanata”, “Kyoukai no Kanata: I’ll Be Here”, “Kyoukai no Kanata: I’ll Be Here- Kako-hen”, “Kyoukai no Kanata: I’ll Be Here – Mirai-ken”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Nagomu Torii, Tomoyo Kamoi, Kyoto Animation and Kyoukai no Kanata Production Committee