During Fuji TV’s Noitamina Project live stream event it was announced that a new anime of Wit Studio’s Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) is currently in the works. The anime itself, season, movie or otherwise, won’t be seen until 2018.
Here is the announcement video for the new anime:
At the event Tetsuro Araki (Death Note, Attack on Titan), the director of the first anime, confirmed that it will be a new anime production. In addition to the new anime, there will also be a drama CD and two compilation films. The first film will release in Japan on December 31st and the second film will be out on January 7th. Both films will have a theatrical run of two weeks.
The main cast of the 2016 anime consists of:
- Tasuku Hatanaka (Ushio Aotsuki from Ushio to Tora) leading as Ikoma
- Sayaka Senbongi (Chitose Karasuma from Gi(a)rlish Number) voicing the role of Mumei
- Maaya Uchida (Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) voicing as Ayame
- Toshiki Masuda (Ryuu Zaou in Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!) who voices Kurusu
- Yuuki Kaji (Eren Jaeger in Attack on Titan) as Takumi
- Kanae Oki (Love Momozono in Precure All Stars) voices Kajika
- Mariya Ise (Stocking Anarchy from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) voicing Yukina
- Ryota Ohsaka (Motoki Yaze in Strike the Blood) voices the role of Sukari
- Kensuke Satou (Taichi Sangoku in Inazuma Eleven Go) as Kibito
- Mamoru Miyano (Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate) assumes the role of Biba
The production staff of Koutetsujou no Kabaneri includes:
- Director: Tetsuro Araki (Death Note, Attack on Titan)
- Series Composer: Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass, Kakumeiki Valvrave)
- Anime Character Designer: Yasuyuki Ebara (Guilty Crown and Attack on Titan Animation Director)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Music Composers: Hiroaki Sano (AnoHana, Psycho-Pass) and Toshihiro Funahashi (Battery the Animation, Boku dake ga Inai Machi)
- Animation Studio: Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Owari no Seraph)
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) is an original action fantasy anime that aired on Fuji TV’s Noitamina block in April 2016. The series aired for a total of 12 episodes.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
The world is in the midst of the industrial revolution when horrific creatures emerge from a mysterious virus, ripping through the flesh of humans to sate their never-ending appetite. The only way to kill these beings, known as “Kabane,” is by destroying their steel-coated hearts. However, if bitten by one of these monsters, the victim is doomed to a fate worse than death, as the fallen rise once more to join the ranks of their fellow undead.
Only the most fortified of civilizations have survived this turmoil, as is the case with the island of Hinomoto, where mankind has created a massive wall to protect themselves from the endless hordes of Kabane. The only way into these giant fortresses is via heavily-armored trains, which are serviced and built by young men such as Ikoma. Having created a deadly weapon that he believes will easily pierce through the hearts of Kabane, Ikoma eagerly awaits the day when he will be able to fight using his new invention. Little does he know, however, that his chance will come much sooner than he expected…
A brand new Koutetsujou no Kabaneri anime will be out in 2018. Until the new anime’s release, a Drama CD and two recap films will be out in Japan soon: December 31st and January 7th for the 2 part films. More information will be revealed in the future.
Source Article and Images - Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Anime Website
"Koutetsujou no Kabaneri", "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress", images and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Wit Studio and the Kabaneri Production Committee