The latest issue of Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine has announced that Nakaba Suzuki’s Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins) manga is being adapted into a brand new TV anime.
A 4 episode TV special recently aired every Sunday since August 28, with its final episode being today. The short series, titled Nanatsu no Taizai: Seisen no Shirushi (The Seven Deadly Sins -Signs of Holy War-) is an original story, written by Suzuki himself.
An announcement was made last September for a new TV anime that would air in 2016, with returning cast and staff members. The mini TV series had some returning members along with new production staff.
The main cast of the first anime will return for the 2016 series:
- Yuuki Kaji (Eren Jaeger in Attack on Titan) is back to voice Meliodas
- Sora Amamiya (Miia from Monster Musume) returns to voice Elizabeth Liones
- Misaki Kuno (Kate Hoshimiya from Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda) as Hawk
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) voicing as Diane
- Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Makoto Tachibana from Free!) voices Ban
- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) will voice King
- Mamoru Miyano (Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate) voicing the role of Gilthunder
The anime’s staff returning from the first series includes:
- Director: Tensai Okamura (Darker than Black, Ao no Exorcist)
- Series Composer: Shoutarou Suga (Oregairu, Isshuukan Friends.)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Keigo Sasaki (Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings, Ao no Exorcist)
- Music Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Aldnoah.Zero)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Arslan Senki)
Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins) is a fantasy action manga written and illustrated by Nakaba Suzuki. The series began in October 2012 being published every week in Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine. To date a total of 16 volumes have been compiled and published. The series received a spin-off manga adaptation in August last year being drawn by Juichi Yamaki. The manga has also had various one-shots, including a crossover Hiro Mashima’s Fairy Tail manga. Nanatsu no Taizai received an anime adaptation in the Fall/Autumn 2014 anime season running for a total of 24 episodes and 2 bonus OVAs. The series was directed by Tensai Okamura (Darker than Black, Ao no Exorcist) and produced by A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Aldnoah.Zero). A mini TV series was produced in 2016 under Nanatsu no Taizai: Seisen no Shirushi, and aired in August for 4 episodes.
Here is the synopsis of the series from MAL:
In a world similar to the European Middle Ages, the feared yet revered Holy Knights of Britannia use immensely powerful magic to protect the region of Britannia and its kingdoms. However, a small subset of the Knights supposedly betrayed their homeland and turned their blades against their comrades in an attempt to overthrow the ruler of Liones. They were defeated by the Holy Knights, but rumors continued to persist that these legendary knights, called the “Seven Deadly Sins,” were still alive. Ten years later, the Holy Knights themselves staged a coup d’état, and thus became the new, tyrannical rulers of the Kingdom of Liones.
Based on the best-selling manga series of the same name, Nanatsu no Taizai follows the adventures of Elizabeth, the third princess of the Kingdom of Liones, and her search for the Seven Deadly Sins. With their help, she endeavors to not only take back her kingdom from the Holy Knights, but to also seek justice in an unjust world.
A brand new TV anime adaptation of Nanatsu no Taizai is currently in production. Further information about the new anime, including its intended air window, will be revealed.
"Nanatsu no Taizai", "The Seven Deadly Sins", images, video, and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Nakaba Suzuki, Kodansha, A-1 Pictures, and the Nanatsu no Taizai Production Committee