The anime about making anime has been a sleeper hit when it aired in the Fall/Autumn 2014 anime season winning over many fans’ hearts, and now the judges’. The new visual shows off the awards won:
- 20th Animation Kobe Awards’ animation work prize
- 2016 Tokyo Anime Festival’s TV animation additional prize
- 2nd place in 2016 Sugui Japan’s anime recommendation
There has been many talks about a second season of the anime, however, the director of Shirobako, Tsutomu Mizushima (Girls und Panzer, Another), mentioned in an interview last July that a second season isn’t possible as his scheduled is filled for the next few years. He also notes that there is enough material to warrant a sequel.
The main cast of the Shirobako anime includes:
- Juri Kimura (First major role) will voice Aoi Miyamori, the production manager of Musashino Animation
- Haruka Yoshimura (Kouko Kaminaga in Akuma no Riddle) voices Emma Yasuhara, the lead animator at Musashino Animation
- Asami Takano (First major role) voicing Misa Todou, the 3D CGI director at the studio
- Hitomi Ohwada (First major role) as Midori Imai, Musashino Animation’s lead writer
- Haruka Chisuga (Tsugumi Harudori in Soul Eater Not!) as Shizuka Sakaki, a voice actress working with Musashino Animation
The production staff of Shirobako consisted of:
- Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Girls und Panzer, Another)
- Series Composer: Michiko Yokote (Genshiken, RDG: Red Data Girl)
- Original Character Designer: Ponkan 8 (Original Artist of Oregairu)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kanami Sekiguchi (Hanasaku Iroha, Tari Tari)
- Animation Studio: P.A. Works (Angel Beats!, Nagi no Asukara)
Shirobako is an original series about creating anime. Specifically, it features a small group of cute girls aiming to tackle on one of Japan’s largest industries. The 5 girls work at Musashino Animation and each have a different and important role in the production of anime. The anime is a collaboration between P.A. Works with Girls und Panzer and Another director Tsutomu Mizushima. The anime began in October 2014 as a 2 cour series, ending in the Winter 2014/2015 anime season after a total of 24 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Five girls chase their dreams. The story revolves around the everyday troubles and hardships that occur when working in the anime industry, and the results and conflicts that happen day-to-day among the group of girls.
There are currently no plans for a continuation for Shirobako, though ideas are still being thrown around. A recurring theme is that there is enough material for a sequel, but the staff’s schedule are too full.
Source Article - Crunchyroll
"Shirobako", images and all associated brands and titles © 2016 P.A. Works, Tsutomu Mizushima, Ponkan 8 and Shirobako Production Committee