The official website of the anime adaptation of Nagaru Tanigawa and Noizi Ito’s The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) light novel series has announced a new Blu-ray boxset for the anime’s 10th anniversary. It will contain all released anime, except for the recent The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan adaptation.
The boxset, titled The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Super Blu-ray Box (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu Super Blu-ray Box), will feature a special cover drawn by Noizi Ito, shown above.
The Boxset is significant as it will be the first boxset containing the 2009 anime film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The boxset will be releasing on December 18 (a significant date in the series) retailing for ￥27,000 (~ US$260.10) without tax. It will contain:
- All episodes of the 2006 and 2009 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
- The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya-chan ONA
- Nyoron! Churuya-san ONA
- 1,620 minutes of footer across 11 dual layer Blu-ray Discs at 1080p (some footage will be shown at 1080i)
- 5.1 surround sound Audio
- A special 10th Anniversary A3 illustration board for early orders (below)
Various retail and online outlets will have bonus products for early pre-orders:
- Animate – A sports towel of Yuki Nagato
- Toranoana – a 40cm x 40cm double sided cushion cover
- Sofmap Online Store – B2 fabric poster of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Tsutaya Records – a clear file (left for in store, right for online)
- Amazon Japan – canvas art
- Gamers – A3 Tapestry
- Chara-Ani, Korder and Book Walker – a long tapestry of Yuki Nagato
- Ami Ami – A5 acrylic clock
- Getchuya – tapestry of Yuki Nagato
- Seven Net – A towel rug of Yuki Nagato
- Melon Books – A4 sized portrait art of Yuki Nagato
- Neowing – a full life sized fabric poster of Haruhi Suzumiya
Additionally, Funimation has also released a Blu-ray boxset for the 10th anniversary.
A new project was announced earlier in the year to celebrate the franchise’s 10th anniversary. Here is the main visual for the project:
A brand new video has been released for the 10th anniversary project featuring the main cast of the anime as the SOS Brigade. The cast of the anime discuss about their debut on Youtube and that they have planned lots of new things for 2016.
Lantis released The Complete Soundtrack of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Kansou) on July 7th that contains the full OST of the anime’s first (2006) and second (2009) seasons across 4 CDs. The soundtrack retails for ¥4,900 ($46.05).
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) is a light novel series written by Nagaru Tanigawa and illustrated by Noizi Ito. The novels began in 2003 and were originally published as short stories in Kadokawa Shoten’s The Sneaker magazine. Since then the short stories have been compiled into 11 light novel volumes, with the latest releasing in May 2011 (which was translated in November 2013). The series was adapted into a TV anime in 2006 from Kyoto Animation (K-ON!, Clannad) and directed by Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Hibike! Euphonium). It was followed by a second season in 2009 and a film, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, in 2010. A spin-off manga titled The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (The Vanishing of Nagato Yuki-Chan) was produced since 2009 by Puyo and was adapted into a TV anime last year.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
Yuki Nagato, the shy president of the literature club, has never been very sure of herself around other people. But around Kyon, the only boy in the tiny, three-person club, Yuki finds herself faltering even more than usual. For Kyon, and for her precious club, Yuki must find her confidence and let her true personality shine! Enjoy taking a fresh look at your favorite characters in this brand-new story set in the world of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya!
This year will be the 10th anniversary of the Haruhi anime. A new Blu-ray Boxset will be releasing in Japan on December 18 that will feature the 2009 film for the first time.
You can visit the anime’s official website here: http://www.haruhi.tv/fanclub/
Source Images - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Website
“The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Nagaru Tanigawa, Noizi Ito, Kyoto Animation, and the North High Arts Club/SOS Brigade