Makoto Shinkai’s record breaking Kimi no Na wa. (your name.) anime film breaks another record, this time one of the biggest ones yet. Following the international release of the film, Kimi no Na wa. is now the highest grossing anime film of all time, surpassing Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away international gross.
Kimi no Na wa. has currently grossed over ¥33.93 Billion (~ US$290 Million) at the international box office, overtaking Spirited Away which ended its international run at ¥32.96 Billion (~ US$289 Million). The large bulk of the gross was domestically in Japan, where since the film’s debut on August 26, it has earned over ¥22.4 Billion (~ US$192.5 Million). In Japan, it is currently the 4th highest grossing film of all time.
Following Japan, the second largest regional gross was China at ¥9.23 Billion (~ US$81 Million) becoming the highest grossing Japanese film in China since its launch on December 2nd, 2016.
The film also made waves in South Korea when it released on January 4th, 2017 taking the #1 opening spot (the first since Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle). The film has earned over ¥1.7 Billion (~ US$15 Million).
The main cast includes:
- Ryunosuke Kamiki (Kenji Koiso from Summer Wars) will voice Taki Tachibana
- Mone Kamishiraishi (Kanade Ooe from Chihayafuru Live Action Films) is voicing as Mitsuha Miyamizu
- Masami Nagasawa (Umi Matsuzaki in From Up on Poppy Hill) voices Miki
- Etsuko Ichihara (Hilda from Taiyou no Ouji: Horus no Daibouken) as Mitsuha’s Grandmother
- Ryo Narita (First Major Anime Role) voicing the role of Katsuhiko Teshigawara
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) voicing as Sayaka Natori
- Nobunaga Shimazaki (Haruka Nanase in Free!) as Tsukasa Fujii
- Kaito Ishikawa (Tsumugu Kihara from Nagi no Asukara) is voicing Shinta Takagi
- Kanon Tani (Debut Role) stars as Yotsuha Miyamizu
The production staff of the movie consists of:
- Director and Series Composer: Makoto Shinkai (5 Centimeters Per Second, The Garden of Words)
- Animation Director: Masashi Ando (Spirited Away, Paprika)
- Anime Character Designer: Masayoshi Tanaka (AnoHana, Toradora!)
- Music Composer: Sayoko Narukawa (Debut Production)
- Animation Studio: CoMix Wave Inc. (Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Hana to Alice Satsujin Jiken)
Here is the film’s English subtitled trailer:
Makoto Shinkai is a well known anime director who got his start in the industry in 1997 directing the short film Other Worlds. His first major breakthrough in the industry was 2002’s Voices of a Distant Star, which won various awards including the Animation Kobe award and the Seiun Award. Since his debut 20 years ago, his films have received acclaim and recognition for the films’ plot, use of mature themes and breathtaking visuals. One of his more recent hits is 2007’s 5 Centimeters Per Second, which won the award for Best Animated Feature Film at the 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards. Shinkai’s most recent feature film is 2013’s The Garden of Words.
Kimi no Na wa. synopsis:
The story is set one month after a comet has fallen for the first time in a thousand years in Japan. Mitsuha is a female high school student who lives in a rural town nestled deep in the mountains. Her father is the mayor and isn’t at home much, and she lives with her elementary school-aged little sister and her grandmother. Mitsuha has an honest personality, but she doesn’t like the customs of her family’s Shinto shrine, nor does she like her father participating in an election campaign. She laments that she lives in a confined rural town, and yearns for the wonderful lifestyle of living in Tokyo.
Taki is a male high school student who lives in central Tokyo. He spends time with his friends, works part-time at an Italian restaurant, and is interested in architecture and fine arts. One day, Mitsuha has a dream where she is a young man. Taki also has a dream where he is a female high school student in a town in the mountains that he has never been to. What is the secret to their dreams of personal experience?
Kimi no Na wa. is currently released in cinemas across the globe, set to be released in over 85 regions. It is currently the highest grossing anime film of all time. North American anime licensor and distributor Funimation confirmed that the film has been submitted as a nominee for Best Animated Feature at the upcoming 89th Academy Awards.
"Kimi no Na wa.", "your name.", images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Makoto Shinkai, CoMix Wave Inc. and the Kimi no Na wa. Production Committee Toggle