Australian and New Zealand anime distributor Madman Entertainment have released an English subtitled of the anime film adaptation of Yoshitoki Ooima’s Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) manga. The 90 second long video gives us a small peak at the emotional film, showing off its animation and letting the music define its tone.
Koe no Katachi will be shown in theatres across Australia and New Zealand on April 6 and 16 respectively. Check your local anime distributors to check if the film is showing near you. The film will also be releasing on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on May 17th (more details below).
There will be three versions available of the film’s home release, with early orders now open until April 20 on Kyoto Animation’s online store. There will be a limited edition Blu-ray that will retail at ¥8,640 (~ US $77.00), containing the film and the following goods:
- a special box designed by character designer Futoshi Nishiya
- a special booklet
- behind the scenes footage
- a picture of the greeting from the stage event
- trailers, promotional videos and commercials
- DTS Headphones audio option
- audio commentary
All editions will come with Japanese subtitles.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Miyu Irino (Akito Hyuuga in Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito) will star as Shouya Ishida
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) will be voicing as Shouko Nishimiya
- Saori Hayami will also voice young Shouko Nishimiya
- Mayu Matsuoka (Debut Anime Role) voices a young Shouya Ishida
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) as Yuzuru Nishiya
- Kensho Ono (Slaine Troyard from Aldnoah.Zero) voicing Tomohiro Nagatsu
- Yuki Kaneko (Midori Tokiwa in Tamako Market) will voice Naoka Ueno
- Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman in Attack on Titan) voices Miyoko Sahara
- Megumi Han (Hunter x Hunter (2011)) is going to voice Miki Kawai
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mikado Ryuugamine from Durarara!!) voicing the role of Satoshi Mashibasa
The production staff of the Koe no Katachi anime includes:
- Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman, Non Non Biyori)
- Anime Character Designer: Futoshi Nishiya (Free!, Hyouka)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Amagi Brilliant Park, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Music: Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong The Animation, Space☆Dandy)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium)
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Ishida Shouya bullies a deaf girl, Nishimiya Shouko, to the point that she drops out of school. As a result, he is ostracized and bullied himself with no friends to speak of and no plans for the future.
This is the story of his path to redemption.