The official website of the Macross franchise has revealed a brand new visual for the upcoming Macross Delta (Macross Δ) anime film, which will be released in theatres across Japan on February 9, 2018. In addition, the film’s first trailer and information about the advanced tickets were also revealed.
The movie will be titled Macross Delta: Gekijou no Walkure (Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure) and will release in theatres across Japan on Feburary 9th, 2018. The film itself will feature many scenes from the 2016 TV anime, but will include various new scenes to tell a different story in a new direction. The film will also feature new songs and remastered battle sequences.
Here is the first trailer of Macross Delta: Gekijou no Walkure:
Advance tickets for the film will go on sale from December 16. A bundle will be available to purchase from participating theatres retailing for ¥1,500 (~ US$13.20). The bundle will include a ticket to the film and a code for the Macross mobile game, Uta Macross. Fans who order the bundle early have the chance to win a ticket to the upcoming concerts via a lottery.
In addition, a series of concerts were also announced for February 24 and February 25, 2018. The two concerts, Walkure wa Uragiranai (Walkure Won’t Betray You), will be held at the Yokohama Arena. Tickets for the concerts will go on sale at a later date.
The Macross franchise will be having a collaboration event with the Tokyo SkyTree, to celebrate the tower’s 5th anniversary and the franchise’s 35th anniversary. The event will be held at the 450m tower from January 9th until February 28th. The event will host a special screening of an animation celebrating 35 years of Macross, as well as a special cafe menu and merchandise for purcahse.
The Walkure idol group are based on the idol group from the Macross Delta anime, comprised of the main cast. The TV anime itself premiered in January 2016, during the Winter 2015/2016 anime season. The series ran for a total of 26 episodes.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Ami Koshimizu (Ryuuko Matoi in Kill la Kill) voicing as Mikumo Guynemer
- Minori Suzuki (First Major Role) as Freyja Wion
- Kiyono Yasuno (Megumi Katou from Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata) as Kaname Buccaneer
- Nozomi Nishida (Satori Tamaba from Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism) who voiced Makina Nakajima
- Nao Touyama (Chitoge Kirisaki in Nisekoi) voicing the role of Reina Prowler
- Yuuma Uchida (Yuuma Kousaka in Gundam Build Fighters Try) voices Hayate Immelmann
- Asami Seto (Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru) plays the role of Mirage Farina Jenius
The production staff of the TV anime includes:
- Chief Director and Valkyrie Designer: Shoji Kawamori (Macross, Aquarion)
- Director: Kenji Yasuda (Shugo Chara!, Arata Kangatari)
- Series Composer: Toshizo Nemoto (Log Horizon, Inu × Boku SS)
- Anime Character Designers and Chief Animation Directors: Majiro (Barakamon, Ongaku Shoujo) and Yuu Shindou (Oregairu, Persona 4 the Golden Animation)
- Mecha Designer: Stanislas Brunet (Aquarion, AKB0048)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Animation Studio: Satelight (AKB0048, Macross Frontier)
The new film will be part of the franchise’s 35th anniversary, which also includes a brand new TV anime that will broadcast in 2018. Other projects in the anniversary include a Virtual Reality project, a live concert, amusement center, series of figures and a physical shop.
Macross is a Sci-Fi mecha franchise created by Shoji Kawamori in 1982. The franchise began as a TV anime series in 1982 as Super Dimension Fortress Macross, produced by Studio Nue (Dirty Pair, Space Battleship Yamato) and running for 36 episodes. The anime itself was localised to North American audiences in the following, as part of the first entry in Robotech. Since its initial series, there has been two additional anime series: Macross 7 in 1994 and Macross Frontier in 2008, along with various OVAs, anime films and accompanying manga and video game adaptations. The most recent anime of Macross was the second Macross Frontier film that released in 2012, Macross FB7: Ore no Uta wo Kike!
Here is the synopsis of Macross Delta from MAL:
Eight years after the events of Macross F, a mysterious phenomenon known as the Var Syndrome is gradually consuming the galaxy. It’s up to a new generation of highly capable Valkyrie pilots to deal with this universal menace. And if they didn’t have enough on their plate already, the Aerial Knights Valkyrie fighter team from the Kingdom of Wind have come to challenge the Delta Squadron.
The Macross Delta anime film, Macross Delta: Gekijou no Walkure, will be released in cinemas around Japan on February 9, 2018. Further details about the movie will be revealed in the upcoming weeks.
“Macross Delta: Gekijou no Walkure”, “Macross Delta”, “Macross”, images, video, and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Shoji Kawamori, Studio Nue, Satelight, and the Macross Production Committee