North American anime licensor Sentai Filmworks have announced that they will be partnering with anime distributor Azoland Pictures to bring the 2017 anime film adaptation of Yuu Kamiya’s No Game No Life light novel to North America. No Game No Life: Zero will be having a theatrical release across the region from September 15th.
The film’s NA release will also feature an English dub of the film, with the main English cast of the TV anime returning for the movie. The dub will be directed by Kyle Colby Jones (Akame ga Kill!, Parasyte -the maxim-). The returning cast includes:
- Scott Gibbs (Sora from No Game No Life)
- Caitlynn French (Shiro from No Game No Life)
- Shannon Emerick (Teto in No Game No Life)
- Kira Vincent-Davis (Izuna Hatsuse in No Game No Life)
In addition to the English dub, Sentai Filmworks will also release a Japanese dub of the film with English subtitles one day later on September 16. Both versions of the film will premiere at the 2017 Los Angeles Anime Film Festival.
Tickets for the LA-AFF Premiere can be found on their official website.
Details about additional limited screenings can be found on the anime’s official website: http://www.nogamenolifezero.com/
Sentai describes the film as:
The film takes place six thousand years before Sora and Shiro were even a blink in the history of Disboard. War consumed the land, tearing apart the heavens, destroying stars, and even threatening to wipe out the human race. Amid the chaos and destruction, a young man named Riku leads humanity toward the tomorrow his heart believed in. One day, in the ruins of an Elf city, he meets Shuvi, a female exiled “ex-machina” android who asks him to teach her what it means to have a human heart.The film takes place six thousand years before Sora and Shiro were even a blink in the history of Disboard. War consumed the land, tearing apart the heavens, destroying stars, and even threatening to wipe out the human race. Amid the chaos and destruction, a young man named Riku leads humanity toward the tomorrow his heart believed in. One day, in the ruins of an Elf city, he meets Shuvi, a female exiled “ex-machina” android who asks him to teach her what it means to have a human heart.
No Game No Life: Zero released in theatres across Japan on July 15th. The film adapts volume 6 from the light novel, which follows Riku and Shuvi. The 6th volume is set before the events of the main light novels and anime series. The 2014 anime itself adapted volumes 1 through 3.
The Japanese cast of No Game No Life: Zero consists of:
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Sora in No Game No Life) will star as Riku Dola
- Ai Kayano (Shiro in No Game No Life) voices Shuvi Dola
- Yoko Hikasa (Stephanie Dola from No Game No Life) is voicing Corone Dola
- Yukari Tamura (Nui Harime in Kill la Kill) will return to voice Jibril
- Yuka Iguchi (Mako Reizei in Girls und Panzer) as Nonna Zell
- Mamiko Noto (Kotomi Ichinose in Clannad) voicing the role of Shinku Nilvalen
The film’s staff includes:
- Director: Atsuko Ishizuka (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
- Series Composer: Jukki Hanada (Love Live! School Idol Project, Steins;Gate)
- Anime Character Designer: Satoshi Tasaki (Rideback, Hunter × Hunter: Phantom Rouge)
- Art Director: Eiji Iwase (Girls und Panzer der Film, Bakugan Battle Brawlers)
- Music Composer: Yoshiaki Fujisawa (Love Live! School Idol Project, Akuma no Riddle)
- Sound Director: Jin Aketagawa (Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (One-Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter)
Here is the latest promotional video for the movie:
No Game No Life is a light novel series written and illustrated by Yuu Kamiya. The series began in 2012 in Media Factory’s MF Bunko J imprint and to date a total of 9 volumes have been released. The series received a manga adaptation last year from Kamiya and Mashiro Hiiragi, where it is currently running in Media Factory’s Monthly Comic Alive magazine. An anime adaptation of the series was produced in Spring 2014. It was animated by Madhouse (Death Note, Hunter x Hunter) and directed by Atsuko Ishizuka (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo).
Here is a synopsis of the series:
The story of No Game, No Life centers around Sora and Shiro, a brother and sister whose reputations as brilliant NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) hikikomori (shut-in) gamers have spawned urban legends all over the Internet. These two gamers even consider the real world as just another “crappy game.” One day, they are summoned by a boy named “God” to an alternate world. There, God has prohibited war and declared this to be a world where “everything is decided by games”—even national borders. Humanity has been driven back into one remaining city by the other races. Will Sora and Shiro, the good-for-nothing brother and sister, become the “Saviors of Humanity” on this alternate world? “Well, let’s start playing.”
The 2017 No Game No Life anime movie, titled No Game No Life: Zero, will be receiving a North American release by Sentai Filmworks this September: with an English dub on September 15 and a Japanese dub/English sub on the 16th. Further details about screening locations will be revealed at a later date.
"No Game No Life: Zero", "No Game No Life", images and all associated brands © 2017 Yuu Kamiya, Media Factory, Madhouse and the No Game No Life Production Committee