The official website of the Osomatsu-san (Mr. Osomatsu) anime, the latest adaptation of Fujio Akatsuka’s Osomatsu-kun manga, has announced that the upcoming second season will broadcast from October 3rd. In addition, a new visual and promotional video were also revealed.
Season 2 of Osomatsu-san will premiere on Tuesday, October 3rd at 1:35am JST on TV Tokyo and TV Aichi. The series will then air on TV Hokkaido on the 4th at 1:35am JST and then on TV Osaka at 2:05am JST. The series will also broadcast on BSJ and AT-X.
The first promotional video has been released for the second season, which reintroduces us to the boys as they return for another season of hijinks:
Here is the announcement video for the second season:
The anime’s first season aired during the Fall/Autumn 2015 anime season for a total of 25 episodes, over 2 cours. The main cast of the first season includes:
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) voices Osomatsu Matsuno
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) as Karamatsu Matsuno
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Koyomi Araragi in Bakemonogatari) voicing Choromatsu Matsuno
- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) will voice Ichimatsu Matsuno
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) as Juushimatsu Matsuno
- Miyu Irino (Akito Hyuuga in Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito) voicing the role of Todomatsu Matsuno
The anime’s production staff consists of:
- Director: Yoichi Fujita (Gintama, ClassicaLoid)
- Series Composer: Shu Matsubara (ClassicaLoid)
- Anime Character Designer: Naoyuki Asano (Shiranpuri, Saint Oniisan)
- Music Composer: Yukari Hashimoto (Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, Golden Time)
- Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot (Bleach, Naruto)
The anime itself has run into some issues with one of the first season’s episode being censored for rebroadcast. The 3rd episode of the anime originally aired on October 19th, but is censored in its rebroadcast on the 24th. The reason for the censorship is regarding the episode’s parody of the well known children’s anime Anpanman. TV Tokyo Head Yuuichi Takahashi has stated that the changes were made after feedback from viewers and staff regarding its portrayal of the beloved anime.
Osomatsu-kun is a comedy manga written and illustrated by Fujio Akatsuka. The series ran from 1962 till 1969 for a total of 34 volumes, being serialized in Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine. The series first received a TV anime adaptation in 1966 by Studio Zero (Hoshi no Ko Chobin, Tonari no Tamageta-kun) for 60 episodes. A second adaptation was produced by Studio Pierrot (Bleach, Naruto) in 1988 running for 88 episodes, followed by an anime film in 1989. To celebrate the 80th birthday of Akatsuka, who passed away in 2008 at age 72, a new adaptation was announced in 2015. Airing in the Fall/Autumn 2015 anime season, the new TV anime, titled Osomatsu-san, is once again produced by Studio Pierrot and is directed by Yoichi Fujita (Gintama, Good Luck Girl!).
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Matsuno household has six naughty and mischievous sons (who are sextuplets), led by the eldest Osomatsu. They were grade schoolers back in the Shouwa period, but despite of still living in the same old household, the street view as well as the life style of modern day society have changed drastically.
The second season of the Osomatsu-san anime will air every Tuesday at 1:35am JST on TV Tokyo from October 3rd, during the Fall/Autumn 2017 anime season. Any additional information about the series will be revealed in the next few weeks.
“Osomatsu-san”, “Osomatsu-kun”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Fujio Akatsuka, Shogakukan, Studio Pierrot, and the Osomatsu Production Committee