The wraparound banner on the 12th volume of Kugane Maruyama and So-bin’s Overlord light novel series has announced that the upcoming second season of the series’ anime adaptation will air in January 2018, during the Winter 2017/2018 anime season.
The banner also confirms that studio Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children) will return to produce the second season. No other staff members were revealed in the announcement.
The 12th volume of the light novel is set to release in Japan on September 30th.
The second season was announced at the conclusion of the 2nd compilation anime film. The first film, titled Overlord: Fushisha no Ou (Overlord: The Undead King), released in Japan on February 25, 2017. The second film, Overlord: Shikkoku no Tenshi (Overlord: The Dark Warrior), released in Japan on March 11, 2017. The films included remastered audio and additional scenes.
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) will voice Momonga, the guild leader of Ains
- Yumi Hara (Takane Shijou in The [email protected]) will be voicing Albedo
- Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) as Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Emiri Katou (Kyuubey from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) is voicing as Aura Bella Fiore
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma in Kiniro Mosaic) voices Mare Bello Fiore
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will play the role of Cocytus
- Masayuki Katou (Kiyomasa Senji from Deadman Wonderland) voices Demiurge
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) as Sebas Tian
The staff of the first season includes:
- Director: Naoyuki Itou (Digimon: Data Squad, One Piece 3D2Y)
- Series Composer and Screenplay Writer: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Sword Art Online)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro (Hunter × Hunter, Trigun)
- Sound Director: Yuki Satofumi (Rail Wars!, Ninja Slayer From Animation)
- Music Composer: Shuuji Katayama (Yurumates3Dei, Francesca)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children)
Overlord is a fantasy light novel series written by Kugane Maruyama and illustrated by so-bin. The series began online in 2010 before Kadokawa’s Enterbrain light novel imprint began publishing the series in 2012. To date a total of 11 compiled volumes have been released, where over 2 million prints have been sold. An audio CD of the series was released bundled with the light novel’s 3rd volume, and 2 drama CDs of the series were released with volumes 4 and 6. A manga adaptation of the series illustrated by Hugin Miyama began in November last year in Kadokawa Shoten’s monthly Comp Ace magazine. An anime adaptation was produced during the Summer 2015 anime season for a total of 12 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day. However, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as “the most powerful wizard.” The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
The second season of the Overlord TV anime is in production by studio Madhouse and will premiere in January 2018, during the Winter 2017/2018 anime season. Further details about the anime will be revealed in the future.
"Overlord", images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Kugane Maruyama, so-bin, Madhouse and Enterbrain