At the recent Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fes event, it was announced that Fumiaki Maruto and Kurehito Misaki’s Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) light novel series would be getting a new anime film. The official website of the anime adaptation has released a new visual to commemorate the announcement.
The visual itself from the website features the illustration found in the final volume of the series. This could indicate that the upcoming movie could be a sequel to the TV anime and its second season. Details about what the movie will cover were not revealed in the announcement.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Kiyono Yasuno (Tina Kobayakawa in Wake Up Girls!) returns as Megumi Katou
- Saori Oonishi (La Folia Rihavein in Strike the Blood) is back to voice Eriri Spencer Sawamura
- Ai Kayano (Menma from AnoHana) as Utaha Kasumigaoka
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito from Sword Art Online) leads the cast as the otaku Tomoya Aki
- Chinatsu Akasaki (Shinka Nibutani in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) voices the role of Izumi Hashima
- Sayuri Yahagi (Suzu Hagimura from Seitokai Yakuindomo) playing as Michiru Hyoudou
The anime’s production staff consists of:
- Director: Kanta Kamei (Usagi Drop, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru)
- Screenplay Writer: Fumiaki Maruto (White Album 2, Light Novel Creator)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Tomoaki Takase (Working!!, Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ Animation Director)
- Music Composer: Hajime Hyakkoku (K-ON!, G-bu)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Aldnoah.Zero, Sword Art Online)
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) is a comedy, drama and romance light novel series written by Fumiaki Maruto and illustrated by Kurehito Misaki. The series began in 2012 in Fujimi Shobo’s Fujimi Fantasia Bunko imprint and ran for a total of 13 compiled volumes, ending in October 2017. The series also received three manga adaptations in 2013 from different artists and publications. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Winter 2014/2015 anime season by Kanta Kamei (Usagi Drop, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru) and A-1 Pictures (Aldnoah.Zero, Sword Art Online). A second season of the anime was produced for the Spring 2017 anime season, running for a total of 11 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The life of Tomoyo Aki, a highschool otaku working part time to support his BD hoarding. With remarkable luck, he bumps head-first into, Megumi Kato, the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. Naturally, the meeting twists his life into a complicated torrent of relationships. Eriri Spencer Sawamura, his half-foreigner childhood friend who’s always valued her relationship with MC. Kasumigaoka Utaha, a cold, composed renowned literary genius who shoves everyone aside from our protagonist. What is this? An eroge introduction?
The tale of a small not quite doujin circle, but not quite indie studio’s journey through the tough territory of comiket and beyond.
A film of the Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata anime has been announced and is in production. Details about the movie, including what it will cover and when it will release, will be revealed in 2018.
“Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata”, images, and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Fumiaki Maruto, Kurehito Misaki, Fujimi Shobo, A-1 Pictures and the Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Production Committees