The official website of the Death Parade anime has released the preview video, the new upcoming characters, and synopsis for the third episode of the series, airing on Saturday the 24th of January at 1:58am JST on NTV.
Episode 3: Rolling Ballad
College student Shigeru Miura begins to wake up and finds a strange bartender in front of him. The bartender tells him that he is now in death game with a woman who he fell in love with at first sight. She is in the game in order to recover her lost memories, where she can’t even remember her own name. The two accept the game and face off in a game of bowling
The new characters and their cast members for episode 3 are:
- Junji Majima (Ryuuji Takasu from Toradora!) voicing as Shigeru Miura
- Mao Ichimichi (Kazumi Schlierenzauer from Gokukoku no Brynhildr) as Chisato Miyazaki
They will join the anime’s main cast:
- Tomoaki Maeno (Naotsugu from Log Horizon) will return as Decim
- Asami Seto (Chihaya Ayase in Chihayafuru) is back as Onna
- Rumi Okubo (Chinatsu Yoshikawa from Yuru Yuri) voicing as Nona
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) will voice Ginty
The main staff members of the anime return from the 2013 short Death Billiards, which includes:
- Director, Script Writer, Storyboarder and Creator: Yuzuru Tachikawa (Arata-naru Sekai, Chi’s Sweet Home: Atarashii Ouchi Assistant Director)
- Character Designer and Animator Director: Shinichii Kurita (Bleach the Movie 4: Hell Verse and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A’s Key Animator)
- Art Director: Satoru Hirayanagi (Another, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?)
- Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama (Oregairu, Little Busters!)
- Music Composer: Yuuki Hayashi (Soul Eater Not!, Haikyuu!!)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (Death Note, No Game No Life)
Death Billiards is an original anime short that released in March 2013 for the 2013 Anime Mirai project. The project itself is funded by the Japanese Government’s Agency for Cultural Affairs to train new and upcoming animators. The anime itself was a 25 minute anime short that was directed by Yuzuru Tachikawa and produced by Madhouse.
The English listing of the anime revealed the synopsis for Death Parade:
Queen Dequim is a bar in a corner of the world where the souls of dead people gather. Gray-haired bartender Dequim is responsible for judging the souls.
“Welcome to Queen Dequim.”
With no idea that they have died, two souls walk into the bar. Dequim welcomes the customers, who are clueless as to what is going on. “I’m going to ask you to bet your life and play games,” he declares. The souls must put their best efforts into playing various games for a chance to get out of the bar. Judgment will be based on the outcome of the games. As the games unfold, the souls’ true colors are bared. At the end, Dequim finally reveals that he is the judge. What judgment will he hand down to the two?
Various views on life and a spectrum of sorrows surface from the judged souls, and as he experiences these emotions with Dark-haired woman, the usually emotionless Dequim begins to feel changes within himself.
What is life really all about? What is man’s true nature? The story unfolds as it poses these questions.
The Death Parade anime currently airs every Saturday at 1:58am JST on NTV. The anime will run for a total of 12 episodes.
Visit the anime’s official website here: http://www.deathparade.jp/
And follow their Twitter: @dp_anime
“Death Parade”, “Death Billiards”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2014 Yuzuru Tachikawa, Madhouse and Death Parade Production Committee