It has been a few weeks since the release of the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ ( Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F/Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu No F) movie in Japan and the film has already outperformed the previous film in the franchise, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, in Japan.
To date, the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ film has already grossed over 3.1 Billion Yen beating the entire run of Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, which earned 2.9 Billion Yen. Resurrection ‘F’ has sold over 2.35 million tickets with 1 million being sold in the first week of release. The film itself opened in over 650 cinemas across Japan in both 2D and 3D on April 18th. The opening weekend was also cited to be the year’s highest in Japan thus far. The film is currently at #3 in the Japanese box office.
The main cast of Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ includes:
- Masako Nozawa (Tetsuro Hoshino in Ginga Tetsudou 999) returns to voice Goku
- Ryo Horikawa (Heiji Hattori from Detective Conan) as Vegeta
- Masako Nozawa will also be voicing Gohan
- Toshio Furukawa (Ataru Moroboshi in Urusei Yatsura) voices Piccolo
- Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy Monkey D. in One Piece) is back as Krillin
- Hikaru Midorikawa (Akihiko Sanada from Persona 3) is voicing Tien Shinhan
- Masaharu Satou (Woll Dolnard in Maze☆Bakunetsu Jikuu) voices the role of Master Roshi
- Hiromi Tsuru (Dokin-chan in Sore Ike! Anpanman) will voice Bulma
- Yuko Minaguchi (Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn from Sailor Moon S) as Videl
- Miki Itou (Taiga Fujimura from Fate/stay night) is voicing Android 18
- Koichi Yamadera (Togusa in Ghost in the Shell) is back to voice Beerus
- Masakazu Morita (Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach) voices Whis
- Shoko Nakagawa (Diana in Sailor Moon: Crystal) is voicing Oracle Fish
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho) as Pilaf
- Tesshou Genda (Kurama in Naruto) voices Shu
- Eiko Yamada (Anne Shirley from Akage no Anne) is voicing as Mai
The main theme song of the film will be Z no Chikai performed by 5 member idol group Momoiro Clover Z, who will star as members of the Angels of Hell. It was earlier announced that Maximum the Hormone’s 2008 song F will be featured in Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ during one of the movie’s main fight scene. The song itself was about Frieza himself, which also inspired the title of the new film.
A flyer has been distributed around Japan recently, and has revealed the director of the upcoming film who will be Tadayoshi Yamamuro. Yamamuro is the Animation Director of various Dragon Ball Z films, including the 2012 film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.
The movie is the 15th overall theatrical film in the Dragon Ball Z series. It will be an new original story written by the manga’s creator Akira Toriyama, similar to the 2012 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods film. Toriyama was more involved with the film, being credited with the original concept, screenplay and character designs. The story is being treated by Toriyama like if it were a continuation of the original Dragon Ball manga. He has been putting a large amount of effort into the art and story and making sure all the finer details are all perfect, earning the praise of his original editor. Toriyama also teased that there will be more action scenes and that it will be “utterly funny”.
Here is the first trailer for the film:
And the second trailer:
Dragon Ball is an acclaimed manga created by Akira Toriyama that was first published in 1984. The first anime adaptation of the manga, Dragon Ball, first aired in 1986 and was produced by Toei Animation. The series ended in 1989, in which the second half of the manga was then adapted with a new name: Dragon Ball Z. The anime and manga series were insanely popular in Japan, with the manga itself selling over 156 million copies to date, being the second highest selling manga of all time. The anime was soon picked up by Funimation Entertainment in 1995 to distribute in North America, where they made their own dub for the anime. Since then, a slew of merchandise, films, manga, games and card games, began releasing worldwide to capitalise on the franchise’s popularity till this day, over 30 years since the manga was first published.
Here is the synopsis of Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’:
An Earth where peace has arrived. However, remnants of Frieza’s army Sorbet and Tagoma (from the Japanese word for ‘egg’) arrive on the planet. Their goal is to revive Frieza with the dragon balls. Their dastardly wish is granted, the “F” that plans its revenge against the Saiyans is revived…!
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ is currently out in numerous cinemas and theatres across Japan. A North American release of the film, with an English dub, will be released by Funimation this Summer.
You can visit the film’s website here: http://www.dragonball2015.com/
“Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F”, “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F'”, “Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu No F”, “Dragon Ball Z”, “Dragon Ball”, images, videos and all associating brands and titles © 2015 Akira Toriyama and Toei Animation