The first ever video for the 2 upcoming live-action Attack on Titan movies has been released online. The video gives us the first glimpse of the cast in character and of course, the first look of the colossal Titan doing what it does best.
So here it is, the first trailer for the live action Attack on Ttian movie:
The cast of the film were earlier announced and the first set of images were released a few weeks earlier. The leading cast members include:
- Haruma Miura (Yama in the live action Captain Harlock) playing the role of Eren Jaeger
- Kiko Mizuhara (Saki Tateshina in Platinum Data) plays Mikasa Ackerman
- Kanata Hongo (Joichiro Nishi in Gantz) as Armin Arlert
In regards to the cast, producer Yoshihiro Sato had discussions with creator Hajime Isayama and decided to cast actors and actresses that could act and flesh out the characters rather than just looking like them. One of the new original characters for the film, Shikishima, will be a key character to the film being titled “humanity’s strongest man”. Isayama will be overseeing the story of the upcoming film. Higuchi has confirmed that the two films will be set in the same world and feature the same characters, though the film will also incorporate new characters and enemies. The films were filmed at Hashima Island in the Nagasaki Prefecture, in Kumamoto Prefecture, Ibaraki Prefecture and Toho studio.
The film’s staff includes:
- Director: Shinji Higuchi (Nadia – The Secret of Blue Water)
- Scriptwriters: Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan Manga Creator), Yuusuke Watanabe (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods), Tomohiro Machiyama (Japanese Film Critic)
- Character Designers: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Wolf Children) and Takayuki Takeya (Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Costume Designer)
- Special Effects Director: Katsuro Onoue (Onmyoji, Uchuu Kyoudai Live Action Film)
- Special Effects Modeller: Yoshihiro Nishimura (Suicide Club and Tokyo Gore Police Director)
- Art Director: Tsuyoshi Shimizu (Killer Bride’s Perfect Crime, The Backwater)
- Costumer Designer: Shinichi Miter (Wool 100%, 69)
- Film Studio: TOHO (Ao Haru Ride Live Action Film, Pokémon Films)
The Shingeki no Kyojin series is created by Hajime Isayama. It started off as a manga in 2009 and is published in Kodansha’s monthly Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. To date there has been 13 compiled volumes of the manga. A prequel light novel adaptation started in 2011, and two spin-off manga started serialization in 2012: Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall and Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou. In April 2013 the series was picked up for an anime adaptation. The anime series was produced by the newly formed Wit Studios. The series has grown in popularity since the anime’s debut, with the manga selling over 36 million copies as of April this year. Numerous game adaptations of the film were created following the anime, such as an online browser game and the Nintendo 3DS title Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind. Two compilation films were earlier announced, the first will release in January next year. And a second season of the anime adaptation was announced to air in 2016.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans. Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.
The two live action Attack on Titan films will be releasing in Japan this Summer. The first film will release in August and the second film will release in the following month in September.
You can visit the film’s website here: http://www.shingeki-seyo.com/
“Attack on Titan”, “Shingeki no Kyojin”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Hajime Isayama, Kodansha, Attack on Titan Film Committee and Toho