A recent Twitter conversation between Tsutomu Mizushima, the director of the anime adaptation of Akira Hiramoto’s Prison School (Kangoku Gakuen) manga, and author Naoyuki Uchida has revealed that a second season of the anime is doubtful.
Naoyuki Uchida, a Japanese horror and mystery author, instigated the conversation on Twitter by praising the anime after watching the final episode. He then asks if there is going to be a second season. Mizushima responds by thanking Uchida for watching both Prison School and Shirobako and mentions that he does want to produce a second season, but doesn’t know if it is possible.
— 水島努 (@tsuki_akari) September 27, 2015
Mizushima is also the director of the Shirobako anime where he also previously revealed that a second season of that anime was also uncertain since his schedule is filled for the next few years.
The first details about the Blu-ray and DVD releases of the Prison School anime were earlier revealed. There will be a total of 6 volumes being released with each volume containing 2 episodes each. The first volume, releasing on September 30 will contain episodes 1 and 2. The remaining volumes will release on the last Wednesday of the month:
- Volume 2- October 28th with episodes 3 & 4
- Volume 3 – November 25th with episode 5 & 6
- Volume 4 – December 23rd with episodes 7 & 8
- Volume 5 – January 27th with episodes 9 & 10
- Volume 6 – February 24th with episodes 11 & 12
All volumes will contain uncensored footage of the anime. The Blu-ray version will cost ¥7,000 (~ $57.00 USD) and the DVD will cost ¥6,000 (~ $48.90 USD) without tax. Along with the episodes, the volumes will also contain bonus video and audio material.
The main cast of the anime consists of:
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Levi from Attack on Titan) leads the cast as Kiyoshi Fujino
- Katsuyuki Konishi (Luxus Dreher in Fairy Tail) will voice Takehito Morokuzu
- Kenichi Suzumura (Mikiya Kokutou from Kara no Kyoukai) as Shingo Wakamoto
- Daisuke Namikawa (Rokuro Okajima in Black Lagoon) voices Jouji Nezu
- Kazuyuki Okitsu (Jonathan Joestar in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) will be voicing Reiji Andou
- Sayaka Ohara (Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail) is voicing Mari Kurihara
- Shizuka Itou (Akeno Himejima from High School DxD) voices the role of Meiko Shiraki
- Kana Hanazawa (Kosaki Onodera in Nisekoi) as Hana Midorikawa
The main production staff of the anime is as follows:
- Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Girls und Panzer)
- Series Composer: Michiko Yokote (Shirobako, xxxHolic)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Junichiro Taniguchi (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movies, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun)
- Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Toradora! )
Here is the latest PV of the anime:
And a series of character commercials were also revealed, starting with Student Council Secretary Hana Midorikawa:
Student Council Vice Principal Meiko CM:
Student Council Principal Mari CM:
Prison School (Kangoku Gakuen) is a comedy, ecchi romance manga written and illustrated by Akira Hiramoto, who has work on various other successful series including Ago Nashi Gen to Ore Monogatari and Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. The series began in early 2011 being published in Kodansha’s Young Magazine. To date the series has a total of 16 compiled volumes, with the latest releasing on March 6 this year, and has over 3.5 million volumes in circulation in Japan. The series has also won the Best General Manga award at the 2014 Kodansha’s 37th Annual Manga Awards last May. An anime adaptation of the series was announced earlier this year.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Hachimitsu Academy, known for its strict academic standards and even stricter school code, is making a giant change this year. In the first time in school history, they are allowing boys to be admitted. As Fujino Kiyoshi starts his first day at Hachimitsu Academy he is shocked to find out that there are only 4 other guys in the entire school, making the ratio of girls to boys 200:1. And to their dismay, not one of the thousand girls will talk to them or even acknowledge them. But Kiyoshi and the guys are about to find out about the shadow student council that has been threatening the female students about interacting with male students.
The Prison School anime has finished its broadcast. It is currently unknown if there is going to be a second season of the anime. The first Blu-ray of the anime releases today in Japan, containing episodes 1 and 2.