The first details about the Blu-ray and DVD releases of the anime were revealed. There will be a total of 6 volumes being released with each volume containing 2 episodes each. The first volume, releasing on September 30 will contain episodes 1 and 2. The remaining volumes will release on the last Wednesday of the month:
- Volume 2- October 28th with episodes 3 & 4
- Volume 3 – November 25th with episode 5 & 6
- Volume 4 – December 23rd with episodes 7 & 8
- Volume 5 – January 27th with episodes 9 & 10
- Volume 6 – February 24th with episodes 11 & 12
All volumes will contain uncensored footage of the anime. The Blu-ray version will cost ¥7,000 (~ $57.00 USD) and the DVD will cost ¥6,000 (~ $48.90 USD) without tax. Along with the episodes, the volumes will also contain bonus video and audio material.
The main cast of the anime consists of:
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Levi from Attack on Titan) leads the cast as Kiyoshi Fujino
- Katsuyuki Konishi (Luxus Dreher in Fairy Tail) will voice Takehito Morokuzu
- Kenichi Suzumura (Mikiya Kokutou from Kara no Kyoukai) as Shingo Wakamoto
- Daisuke Namikawa (Rokuro Okajima in Black Lagoon) voices Jouji Nezu
- Kazuyuki Okitsu (Jonathan Joestar in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) will be voicing Reiji Andou
- Sayaka Ohara (Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail) is voicing Mari Kurihara
- Shizuka Itou (Akeno Himejima from High School DxD) voices the role of Meiko Shiraki
- Kana Hanazawa (Kosaki Onodera in Nisekoi) as Hana Midorikawa
The main production staff of the anime is as follows:
- Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako, Girls und Panzer)
- Series Composer: Michiko Yokote (Shirobako, xxxHolic)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Junichiro Taniguchi (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movies, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun)
- Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Toradora! )
Here is the latest PV of the anime:
And a series of character commercials were also revealed, starting with Student Council Secretary Hana Midorikawa:
Student Council Vice Principal Meiko CM:
Student Council Principal Mari CM:
Prison School (Kangoku Gakuen) is a comedy, ecchi romance manga written and illustrated by Akira Hiramoto, who has work on various other successful series including Ago Nashi Gen to Ore Monogatari and Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari. The series began in early 2011 being published in Kodansha’s Young Magazine. To date the series has a total of 16 compiled volumes, with the latest releasing on March 6 this year, and has over 3.5 million volumes in circulation in Japan. The series has also won the Best General Manga award at the 2014 Kodansha’s 37th Annual Manga Awards last May. An anime adaptation of the series was announced earlier this year.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Hachimitsu Academy, known for its strict academic standards and even stricter school code, is making a giant change this year. In the first time in school history, they are allowing boys to be admitted. As Fujino Kiyoshi starts his first day at Hachimitsu Academy he is shocked to find out that there are only 4 other guys in the entire school, making the ratio of girls to boys 200:1. And to their dismay, not one of the thousand girls will talk to them or even acknowledge them. But Kiyoshi and the guys are about to find out about the shadow student council that has been threatening the female students about interacting with male students.
The Prison School anime airs every Saturday at 1:05am JST on Tokyo MX during the Summer 2015 anime season, for a total of 12 episodes. The first Blu-ray and DVD volume of the anime will be released on September 30.
“Kangoku Gakuen”, “Prison School”, images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Akira Hiramoto and Kodansha