The official website of the anime adaptation of Fumiaki Maruto and Kurehito Misaki’s Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) light novel series has announced that a sequel of the anime is currently in production. No further details about it have been revealed.
The announcement was made at a live event for the anime earlier today. The anime’s staff and cast were present at the event and made the announcement to the audience together.
Additionally, the third volume of the anime’s Blu-ray will be releasing on May 13th. It will contain episodes 3 and 4 of the first season, as well as a short novel by Maruto, an original song, a small selection of the OST and other goodies.
The main cast of the anime’s first season stars:
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito from Sword Art Online) will lead the cast as the otaku Tomoya Aki
- Kiyono Yasuno (Tina Kobayakawa in Wake Up Girls!) will be voicing Megumi Katou, who met Tomoya by fate
- Saori Oonishi (La Folia Rihavein in Strike the Blood) voices Eriri Spencer Sawamura, a childhood friend of Tomoya
- Ai Kayano (Menma from AnoHana) as Utaha Kasumigaoka, a popular writer
- Chinatsu Akasaki (Shinka Nibutani in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) voices the role of Izumi Hashima
- Sayuri Yahagi (Suzu Hagimura from Seitokai Yakuindomo) will be playing Michiru Hyoudou
The main members of the anime’s staff include:
- Director: Kanta Kamei (Usagi Drop, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru)
- Screenplay Writer: Fumiaki Maruto (White Album 2, Light Novel Creator)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Tomoaki Takase (Working!!, Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ Animation Director)
- Music Composer: Hajime Hyakkoku (K-ON!, G-bu)
- Sound Director: Akiko Fujita (Hanayamata, Servant × Service)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Aldnoah.Zero, Sword Art Online)
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) is a comedy, drama and romance light novel series written by Fumiaki Maruto and illustrated by Kurehito Misaki. The series began in 2012 in Fujimi Shobo’s Fujimi Fantasia Bunko imprint where a total of 8 compiled volumes have been published to date. The series also received three manga adaptations in 2013 from different artists and publications. The first main adaptation began in January in Fujimi Shobo’s Monthly Dragon Age magazine by Takeshi Moriki, the second is a spin-off titled Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata: Egoistic-Lily from Niito and was published in Kadokawa Shoten’s Young Ace magazine from February till May for 3 volumes last year. The third adaptation, titled Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata: Koisuru Metronome, began in August 2014 in Square Enix’s Big Gangan magazine. All of the manga adaptations are written by Maruto himself. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Winter 2014/2015 anime season by Kanta Kamei (Usagi Drop, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru) and A-1 Pictures (Aldnoah.Zero, Sword Art Online).
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The life of Tomoyo Aki, a highschool otaku working part time to support his BD hoarding. With remarkable luck, he bumps head-first into, Megumi Kato, the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. Naturally, the meeting twists his life into a complicated torrent of relationships. Eriri Spencer Sawamura, his half-foreigner childhood friend who’s always valued her relationship with MC. Kasumigaoka Utaha, a cold, composed renowned literary genius who shoves everyone aside from our protagonist. What is this? An eroge introduction?
The tale of a small not quite doujin circle, but not quite indie studio’s journey through the tough territory of comiket and beyond.
The second phase of the Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata anime has been revealed to be in production. Not a lot of information about it has been revealed so far, including whether it will be a second season. More information will follow soon.
“Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Fumiaki Maruto, Kurehito Misaki, Fujimi Shobo, A-1 Pictures and the Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Production Committee