The most recent issue of Shueisha’s Weekly Young Jump has teased that a sequel of the TV anime adaptation of Yu Sasuga and Kenichi Tachibana’s Terra Formars manga has been green-lit for production. This more than likely indicates that there will be a second season.
The cast for the Terra Formars TV anime, which aired last October, is as follows:
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) will voice Akari Hizamaru
- Hidenobu Kiuchi (Hei in Darker Than Black) who will return to voice Shokichi Komachi
- Shizuka Itou (Luviagelita Edelfelt in Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya) voicing Michelle Davis
- Kaito Ishikawa (Tsumugu Kihara from Nagi no Asukara) will be voicing Marcos Garcia
- KENN (Akihito Kanbara in Kyoukai no Kanata) who will voice Alex Stewart
- Ai Kayano (Menma from AnoHana) as Sheila Levitt
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis from Black Butler) voicing as Keiji Onizuka
- Chiaki Takahashi (Azusa Miura in The [email protected]) who voices Kanako Sanjou
- Aki Toyosaki (Yui Hirasawa from K-ON!) will voice Yaeko Yanasegawa
- Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki Sakata from Gintama) voicing Ichirou Hiruma
The production crew for the anime is the same for both the OVA and TV series.
- Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate, Blade & Soul)
- Assistant Director: Takaharu Ozaki (Texhnolyze)
- Series Composition: Shougo Yasukawa (Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?)
- Main Character Designer: Masanori Shino (Black Lagoon)
- Character Designer: Satoshi Kimura (Buddy Complex)
- Animation Studio: Liden Films (Miss Monochrome, Senyuu)
Terra Formars is an original manga written by Yu Sasuga and illustrated by Kenichi Tachibana. The series was first published in 2011 in Shueisha’s Weekly Young Jump magazine. To date the series has 8 volumes published. The manga ranked 1st in Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Top 20 Manga for Male Readers guidebook, with over 6 million copies in print. A TV anime and OVA were announced in February 2014. The OVA handles the first arc in the series, the Bugs 2 Arc, and the anime series continued on with the Annex 1 arc.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
With the space program attempting to travel to Mars, 21st century scientists were tasked with warming up the planet so that humans could survive on its surface. They came up with an efficient and cost-effective plan of sending cockroaches and mold to the surface so that the mold would absorb the sunlight and the insect corpses would serve as a food source for the mold.
It is now the year 2577 and the first manned ship to Mars has landed on the planet and the six crew members are ready for their mission. But what they find are giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength. The crew members are easily wiped out, but not before sending a transmission back to Earth. Now, humanity will send elite warriors to exterminate the mutated bugs and claim back Mars.
The second season of the Terra Formars TV anime series is currently in production. Further information and confirmation on the sequel will be revealed in the near future.
“Terra Formars”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Yu Sasuga, Kenichi Tachibana, Shueisha and Liden Films