The official website of the anime adaptation of Hajime Isayama’s Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga has revealed that the upcoming second season will air in Spring 2017. The first visual was revealed, alongside the announcement that the cast and staff will return – however a new director will take charge.
The Spring 2017 anime season will begin in April next year. It was earlier reported that the anime has been delayed to 2017, despite having a 2016 expected broadcast when it was first announced.
The site has revealed that the main cast of the first season and the spin-off will return for the second season:
- Yuuki Kaiji (Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD) returning to voice Eren Yeager
- Yui Ishikawa (Hinaki Shinjou in Hinaki Shinjou) as Mikasa Ackerman
- Marina Inoue (Tooka Yatogami in Date A Live) voicing as Armin Arlert
- Hiroshi Kaminya (Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!) who will voice Levi
- Kishou Taniyama (Natsuki Shinomiya from Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love) will voice Jean Kirstein
- Yuu Shimamura (Haruka Haruno from Go! Princess Precure) as Annie Leonhart
- Yuu Kobayashi (Katsuragi in Senran Kagura) voicing as Sasha Blouse
- Shiori Mikami (Akari Akaza from YuruYuri) returns to voice Krista Lenz
- Tomohisa Hashizume (Delico in Gangsta.) voices Bertolt Hoover
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) returning as Reiner Braun
- Saki Fujita (Ao Nanami from Yozakura Quartet) voicing the role of Ymir
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) as Erwin Smith
- Romi Park (Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) back as Hanji Zoe
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) who will voice Connie Springer
The majority of the production staff from the first season will also return. However, a new director will be leading the series in their debut role. Though the director of the first season will return in a different role.
- Director: Koizuka Masashi (Attack on Titan and Attack on Titan: No Regrets Episode Director)
- Chief Director: Tetsuro Araki (Attack on Titan, Death Note)
- Series Composer: Yasuko Kobayashi (Attack on Titan, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kyoji Asano (Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass)
- Art Director: Shunichiro Yoshihara (Attack on Titan, Rolling☆Girls)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Music Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown)
- Animation Studio: Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Rolling☆Girls)
Here is the preview video for the second season that was revealed at the conclusion of the 2015 second compilation anime film:
Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is an action manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. It started in 2009 and is published in Kodansha’s monthly Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. To date there has been a total of 19 compiled volumes. A prequel light novel adaptation started in 2011, and two spin-off manga started serialization in 2012: Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall and Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou. In April 2013 the series was picked up for an anime adaptation. The anime series was produced by the newly formed Wit Studios. The series has grown in popularity since the anime’s debut, with the manga selling over 36 million copies as of April this year. Numerous game adaptations of the film were created following the anime, including a PlayStation 4 title. Two live action film adaptations were be released in Japan in 2015.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.
Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.
The second season of the Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is currently in production and will air next April in the Spring 2017 anime season. Further information about the series will be revealed at a later date.
Visit the anime’s official website: http://shingeki.tv/season2/
And follow them on Twitter: @anime_shingeki
“Attack on Titan”, “Shingeki no Kyojin”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Hajime Isayama, Kodansha, Wit Studio and Shingeki no Kyojin Production Committee