The official website of the anime adaptation of Ayano Takeda and Nikki Asada’s Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) novel series has revealed that the anime compilation film will be coming to Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on September 7.
Both the Blu-ray and DVD releases of the film will come with Japanese subtitles, and will retail for ¥7,400 (~ US$72.50) and ¥4,600 (~ US$45.10) respectively with tax. Various retailers and online stores will bundle special items for pre-orders.
Early orders for the Blu-ray release will come with many extras:
- A special three way case designed by character designer Akiko Ikeda (K-ON! and Tokyo Ghoul Animator)
- A 20 page booklet
- Greeting video
- Trailers and commercials
- Audio option for DTS Headphone:X
- Cast Commentary
- Staff Commentary
The recap film, Gekijouban Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku Bu e Youkoso (Sound! Euphonium the Movie: Welcome to the Kitauji High School Concert Band), recaps the Spring 2015 anime, depicting the band’s journey as they reach the prefectural band competition. The run time of the movie is 103 minutes.
Here is the film’s trailer:
The anime’s main cast includes:
- Tomoyo Kurosawa (Miria Akagi in The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls) will voice leading character Kumiko Oumae, who plays the Euphonium
- Ayaka Asai (Mio Naruse from Shinmai Maou no Testament) as Hazuki Katou, a Tuba player
- Chika Anzai (Chaika Travant in Hitsugi no Chaika) is voicing Reina Kousaka, a Trumpet player
- Moe Toyota (Sakura Inami in Kyoukai no Kanata) who will voice Sapphire Kawashima, who plays the Contrabass
- Minako Kotobuki (Tsumugi Kotobuki in K-ON!) will voice Asuka Tanaka, who plays the Euphonium
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) will voice Noboru Taki, the brass band club’s advisor
The main production staff of the anime includes:
- Director: Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Series Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Jukki Hanada (Steins;Gate, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Anime Character Designer: Akiko Ikeda (K-ON! and Tokyo Ghoul Animator)
- Instrument Designer: Takahashi Hiroyuki (K-ON!)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Music Composer: Akito Matsuda (GLASSLIP, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park)
Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso (Sound! Euphonium) is a music novel series written by Ayano Takeda and illustrated by Nikki Asada. The series began in December 2013 being published by Takarajimasha. To date a total of 4 volumes have been published. A manga adaptation of the series was launched in November last year, by Ayano Takeda and Hami that is being published in Takarajimasha’s Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Web magazine. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Spring 2015 anime season by Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park) with Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) directing. The anime ran for a total of 13 episodes. An anime film was produced in early 2016 with a second season coming this Fall/Autumn.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Hibike! Euphonium begins when Kumiko Oumae, a girl who was in the brass band club in junior high school, visits her high school’s brass band club as a first year. Kumiko’s classmates Hazuki and Sapphire decide to join the club, but Kumiko sees her old classmate Reina there and hesitates. She remembers an incident she had with Reina at a brass band club contest in junior high school.
The Hibike! Euphonium recap anime movie will release on Blu-ray and DVD on September 7. The second season of the anime will air this October during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season.
“Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso”, “Hibike! Euphonium”, “Sound! Euphonium”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Ayano Takeda, Takarajimasha, Kyoto Animation and the Hibike! Production Committee