The official website of the anime adaptation of Ayano Takeda and Nikki Asada’s Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) novel series has revealed that the upcoming second season will start airing from October 6. Additionally, updated character designs were also revealed.
The second season of Hibike! Euphonium will start its broadcast on the midnight of Wednesday, October 5th (effectively October 6th) on Tokyo MX. The anime will also air on the 6th at 1:00am JST on TVK, at 2:05am JST on TV Aichi and at 2:14am JST on ABC Asahi. It will also start airing from the 7th on KBS Kyoto at 1:30am JST and on BS11 at 2:00am JST.
Updated character designs has been revealed for the main cast, which returns from the 1st season:
- Tomoyo Kurosawa (Miria Akagi in The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls) is back to voice Kumiko Oumae
- Ayaka Asai (Mio Naruse from Shinmai Maou no Testament) as Hazuki Katou
- Moe Toyota (Sakura Inami in Kyoukai no Kanata) who voices Sapphire Kawashima
- Chika Anzai (Chaika Travant in Hitsugi no Chaika) is voicing Reina Kousaka
- Minako Kotobuki (Tsumugi Kotobuki in K-ON!) returns to voice Asuka Tanaka
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Haruka Ogasawara
- Minori Chihara (Yuki Nagato in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) voices Kaori Nakaseko
- Konomi Fujimura (First Major Role) back as Natsuki Nakagawa
- Yuri Yamaoka (Choi Mochimazzi in Tamako Market) is going to voice Yuuko Yoshikawa
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) will voice Noboru Taki
The main production staff of the anime includes:
- Director: Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Series Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Jukki Hanada (Steins;Gate, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Anime Character Designer: Akiko Ikeda (K-ON! and Tokyo Ghoul Animator)
- Instrument Designer: Takahashi Hiroyuki (K-ON!)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)
- Music Composer: Akito Matsuda (GLASSLIP, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park)
Here is the anime’s first promotional video:
There will also be a pre-screening event for the anime’s first episode on September 10th at the Marunouchi Piccadilly in Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. There will be two sessions held on the day: a 6:00pm JST – 7:30pm JST session and a 8:30pm JST – 10:00pm JST session. The main cast of the anime will also be in attendance. Tickets are now on sale for ¥1,500 (~ US$14.75).
A compilation film of the anime was announced at the 2015 Kyoto Animation & Animation Do Fan Event, alongside the second season of the Hibike! Euphonium anime. The compilation film released on April 23rd and retells the events of the 13 episode series, depicting the band’s journey as they reach the prefectural band competition. The movie will be out on Blu-ray and DVD on September 7.
Kyoto Animation are also running a campaign celebrating the birthdays of the series’ main character.
Hibike! Euphonium: Kitauji Koukou Suisougaku-bu e Youkoso (Sound! Euphonium) is a music novel series written by Ayano Takeda and illustrated by Nikki Asada. The series began in December 2013 being published by Takarajimasha. To date a total of 4 volumes have been published. A manga adaptation of the series was launched in November last year, by Ayano Takeda and Hami that is being published in Takarajimasha’s Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Web magazine. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Spring 2015 anime season by Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Amagi Brilliant Park) with Tatsuya Ishihara (Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) directing. The anime ran for a total of 13 episodes. An anime film was produced in early 2016 with a second season coming this Fall/Autumn.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Hibike! Euphonium begins when Kumiko Oumae, a girl who was in the brass band club in junior high school, visits her high school’s brass band club as a first year. Kumiko’s classmates Hazuki and Sapphire decide to join the club, but Kumiko sees her old classmate Reina there and hesitates. She remembers an incident she had with Reina at a brass band club contest in junior high school.
The second season of the Hibike! Euphonium anime will air every Thursday at the stroke of midnight starting from October 6th on Tokyo MX, during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season. Further information about the series will be revealed very soon.
“Hibike! Euphonium”, “Sound! Euphonium”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Ayano Takeda, Takarajimasha, Kyoto Animation and the Hibike! Production Committee