The anime film adaptation of Yoshitoki Ooima’s Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) manga by Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium) has just topped ¥1.91 Billion (~ US$18.5 Million) at the Japanese box office. The film has now become the studio’s highest grossing movie.
Koe no Katachi has sold over 1,450,000 tickets in its initial 6 weeks, currently ranked 8th at the Japanese box office. The film’s earnings has surpassed the studio’s 2011 K-ON! The Movie, which ended its run at ¥1.9 Billion (~ US$18.4 Million). In doing so, the film is now the highest grossing film from Kyoto Animation. The third highest grossing film from the studio is the 2010 film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, earning ¥830 Million (~ US$8.06 Million).
In celebration of the achievement, a new batch of 35mm film strips of the anime will be bundled with tickets purchases at participating theatres from November 5th.
The film debuted #2 at the Japanese box office in its opening weekend taking in ¥283 Million (~ US$2.8 Million), with Makoto Shinkai’s Kimi no Na wa. in the #1 spot that week. The film opened at 120 screens across Japan and has sold more than 300,000 tickets over the 3 day period. It topped ¥410 Million (~ US$4.06 Million) in its first 3 days
Here is the main cast of the anime:
- Miyu Irino (Akito Hyuuga in Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito) will star as Shouya Ishida
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) will be voicing as Shouko Nishimiya
- Saori Hayami will also voice young Shouko Nishimiya
- Mayu Matsuoka (Debut Anime Role) voices a young Shouya Ishida
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) as Yuzuru Nishiya
- Kensho Ono (Slaine Troyard from Aldnoah.Zero) voicing Tomohiro Nagatsu
- Yuki Kaneko (Midori Tokiwa in Tamako Market) will voice Naoka Ueno
- Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman in Attack on Titan) voices Miyoko Sahara
- Megumi Han (Hunter x Hunter (2011)) is going to voice Miki Kawai
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mikado Ryuugamine from Durarara!!) voicing the role of Satoshi Mashibasa
The production staff of the Koe no Katachi anime includes:
- Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman, Non Non Biyori)
- Anime Character Designer: Futoshi Nishiya (Free!, Hyouka)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Amagi Brilliant Park, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Music: Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong The Animation, Space☆Dandy)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium)
Here is the film’s latest trailer:
Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) is a manga series written and illustrated by Yoshitoki Ooima. The series began as a one-shot in the February 2011 issue of Kodansha’s Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. A full manga series was then produced in August 2013 where it was published weekly in Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine. The series itself ended on the 12th this month for a total of 61 chapters compiled into 7 volumes, with the last volume releasing on December 17th. Since its publication, the series has sold over 700,000 copies as of May 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Ishida Shouya bullies a deaf girl, Nishimiya Shouko, to the point that she drops out of school. As a result, he is ostracized and bullied himself with no friends to speak of and no plans for the future.
This is the story of his path to redemption.
The Koe no Katachi anime film, produced by Kyoto Animation, is currently out in theatres across Japan on 120 screens.
Source Article - Anime News Network
“Koe no Katachi”, “A Silent Voice”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Yoshitoki Ooima, Kodansha, Kyoto Animation and the Koe no Katachi Production Committee