The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Shinobu Ohtaka and Yoshifumi Ohtera’s Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (Magi: Adventure of Sinbad) has revealed a brand new visual, first set of character designs and the first promotional video for the series’ April debut.
The first set of character designs has been revealed for the main cast, which includes:
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) leading as Sinbad
- Akira Ishida (Kotaro Katsura in Gintama) voices Yunan
- Katsuyuki Konishi (America from Hetalia) joins the cast to voice Badr
- Yoko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama in K-ON!) voices Esra
Other members of the cast include:
- Ai Kayano (Menma from AnoHana) as Serendine Dikumenowlz Du Parthevia
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) returns to voice Ja’far
- Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki Sakata from Gintama) voicing as Drakon
The first promotional video of the anime has been released:
The Magi: Sinbad no Bouken TV anime will start its broadcast on MBS in the Spring 2016 anime season, which begins in April. The series was previously adapted into a series of 5 OVAs that were bundled with the manga’s volumes. The most recent OVA was packaged with the 7th volume of the manga, which released in Japan on July 15th, 2015. The staff and cast of the OVAs will return to produce the upcoming TV anime.
The returning staff consists of:
- Director: Yoshikazu Miyao (Inazuma Eleven, Hellsing)
- Series Composer: Taku Kishimoto (Usagi Drop, Silver Spoon)
- Anime Character Designer: Soichiro Sako (Go! Go! 575, Toaru Majutsu no Index Animation Director)
- Music Composer: Tomohiro Okubo (Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes)
- Animation Production: Lay-duce (Go! Go! 575, Classroom☆Crisis)
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (Magi: Adventure of Sinbad) is a spin-off, prequel manga to Shinobu Ohtaka’s Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, written by Ohtaka herself and is illustrated by Yoshifumi Ohtera. The spin-off began as a one-off special with the parent manga’s first volume, focusing on the character Sinbad. It was eventually serialized into a full series in April 2013 under Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine, before moving on to Ura Sunday magazine. To date a total of 7 volumes have been released. The series has received a total of 5 OVAs that have been bundled with the manga’s volume since volume 2. Ohtaka’s Magi started in 2009 under Weekly Shonen Sunday, with 26 volumes and an anime adaptation in 2012 with a second season in the following year.
Here is the synopsis of the series:
A prologue manga series that tells the story of Sinbad’s early life.
This is a story about the flow of fate and the battle to keep the world on the right path. Aladdin is a boy who has set out to explore the world after being trapped in a room for most of his life. His best friend is a flute with a djinn in it named Ugo. Soon enough, Aladdin discovers he is a Magi, a magician who chooses kings, and he was born to choose kings who will follow the righteous path, battling against those who want to destroy fate. Follow his adventures as he meets others from “One Thousand and One Nights,” like Ali Baba and Sinbad, and fights to keep the balance of world in check!
The Magi: Sinbad no Bouken TV anime will be airing in April on MBS during the Spring 2016 anime season. A total of 5 OVAs have already been released. More information about the anime will be revealed soon.
You can visit the anime’s site here: http://www.project-magi.com/sinbad/
And follow their Twitter: @project_mag
“Magi: Sinbad no Bouken”, “Magi: Adventure of Sinbad”, “Magi”, images, and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Shinobu Ohtaka, Yoshifumi Ohtera, Shogakukan, Lay-duce, and the Magi AOS Project