North American anime distributor and licensor Funimation have announced that they will be bringing Psycho-Pass: The Movie to North American theatres in March this year. No dates and locations have been revealed so far.
Funimation have released a bunch of screenshots for the movie:
A synopsis for the film was also revealed:
In a futuristic Japan, the Sibyl System is charged with keeping the peace. Using extensive surveillance and biological monitoring to gauge the likelihood that individuals will commit a crime, the police are able to use weapons called Dominators to remove potential criminals from the population before they become a problem. Confident with the success of the System within their own borders, the Japanese government has begun to export the technology to other countries, planning to ultimately spread the System across the globe.
When the state of SEAUn brings the Sibyl System in to test its effectiveness, it becomes a haven of peace and safety—for a time. Eventually, terrorists from SEAUn begin appearing in Japan, somehow slipping through the System’s security and attacking from within. Desperate for answers, Inspector Akane Tsunemori is sent overseas to bring the terrorists to justice. But when her investigation forces her into a standoff with an old ally, will she be able to pull the trigger?
Here is the film’s English subtitled trailer that was released for its Singapore release:
The main cast of the film features the return of characters from the first two seasons:
- Kana Hanazawa (Mayuri Shiina in Steins;Gate) will return to voice Akane Tsunemori
- Kenji Nojima (Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon Crystal) is voicing Nobuchika Ginoza once again
- Ayane Sakura (Kokoa Hoto in Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?) voices Mika Shimotsuki
- Shizuka Itou (Luviagelita Edelfelt in Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya) will be voicing Yayoi Kunizuka
- Miyuki Sawashiro (Himeko Inaba in Kokoro Connect) voicing as Shion Karanomori
- Hiroki Touchi (Ging Freecss from Hunter x Hunter) as Teppei Sugou
- Kazuhiro Yamaji (Kazuya Mishima in Tekken) voicing as Jouji Saiga
- and Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) voicing as Sho Hinakawa
New cast members to the series are as follows:
- Noriko Hidaka (Masumi Sera from Detective Conan)
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Koyomi Araragi from Bakemonogatari)
- Unshou Ishizuka (Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop)
- Tomokazu Seki (Shinichi Chiaki in Nodame Cantabile)
The anime’s production staff includes the following:
- Chief Director: Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass, Psycho-Pass Season 2 Supervisor)
- Director: Naoyoshi Tadayoshi (Psycho-Pass, Psycho-Pass Season 2)
- Original Story and Screenplay Writer: Gen Urobuchi (Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero)
- Screenplay: Makoto Fukami (Psycho-Pass Script Writer)
- Character Designer: Akira Amano (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
- Anime Character Designer: Kyoji Asano (Psycho-Pass, Attack on Titan)
- Chief Animation Director and Anime Character Designer: Naoyuki Onda (Ergo Proxy, Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
- Music Composer: Yugo Kanno (Psycho-Pass, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders)
- Animation Studio: Production I.G (Kuroko’s Basketball, Ghost in the Shell)
Psycho-Pass is an original animation from Production I.G. The Sci-fi, crime solving anime began airing from October 2012 and ended in March 2013. The series was directed by first timer Naoyoshi Shiotani, with the story being written by veteran Gen Urobuchi and the characters designed by Akira Amano. The series has received a manga and light novel adaptation, that began publishing in November 2012 and February 2013 respectively. Additionally, an Xbox One game based on the series has been announced and a sequel anime season. A sequel film was produced for the series in January 2015. Series producer Akitoshi Mori has mentioned in an interview that he would like to do a third season.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person’s state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term “Psycho-Pass” refers to a standard used to measure an individual’s being. The story centers around the “enforcement officer” Shinya Kougami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.
In the future, it is possible to quantitatively measure a person’s emotions, desires, and every inclination. In this way, it is also possible to measure a person’s criminal tendency factor, which is used to judge criminals.
This is the story of a team of policemen dedicated to maintaining public order. Some of them work in the Enforcement Division, responsible for the apprehension of criminals, while others belong to the Supervisory Division which oversees their colleagues in Enforcement.
The Psycho-Pass Movie will be out in North America this March. Further details about the Funimation release will be out at a later date.
“Psycho-Pass Movie”, “Psycho-Pass”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2016 Production I.G. and Psycho-Pass Production Committee