The official website of the anime adaptation of Hajime Isayama’s Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga has revealed that the upcoming highly anticipated second season will start its broadcast on April 1st. In addition, a brand new visual was also revealed.
The second season of Attack on Titan will start airing on Saturday, April 1st on Tokyo MX at 11:00pm JST. The anime will then air on MBS from the 2nd at 1:58am JST. The series will then broadcast on tvk, GTV, TV Aichi, Tochigi TV, and 15 other stations in the following days.
The website has also revealed that the band Linked Horizon will return to perform the second season’s Opening theme. The band previously performed both Openings for the first season, Guren no Yumiya and Jiyuu no Tsubasa.
The main cast of the first season and the spin-off will return for the second season:
- Yuuki Kaiji (Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD) returning to voice Eren Yeager
- Yui Ishikawa (Hinaki Shinjou in Hinaki Shinjou) as Mikasa Ackerman
- Marina Inoue (Tooka Yatogami in Date A Live) voicing as Armin Arlert
- Kishou Taniyama (Natsuki Shinomiya from Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love) will voice Jean Kirstein
- Yuu Kobayashi (Katsuragi in Senran Kagura) voicing as Sasha Blouse
- Shiori Mikami (Akari Akaza from YuruYuri) returns to voice Krista Lenz
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) who will voice Connie Springer
- Tomohisa Hashizume (Delico in Gangsta.) voices Bertolt Hoover
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) returning as Reiner Braun
- Saki Fujita (Ao Nanami from Yozakura Quartet) voicing the role of Ymir
- Hiroshi Kaminya (Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!) who will voice Levi
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) as Erwin Smith
- Romi Park (Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) back as Hanji Zoe
The majority of the production staff from the first season will also return. However, a new director will be leading the series in their debut role. Tetsuro Araki, the director of the first season will return in an overseeing role.
- Director: Koizuka Masashi (Attack on Titan and Attack on Titan: No Regrets Episode Director)
- Chief Director: Tetsuro Araki (Attack on Titan, Death Note)
- Series Composer: Yasuko Kobayashi (Attack on Titan, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kyoji Asano (Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass)
- Art Director: Shunichiro Yoshihara (Attack on Titan, Rolling☆Girls)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Music Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown)
- Animation Studio: Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Rolling☆Girls)
Here is the anime’s first promotional video:
Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is an action manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. It started in 2009 and is published in Kodansha’s monthly Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. To date there has been a total of 21 compiled volumes. A prequel light novel adaptation started in 2011, and two spin-off manga started serialization in 2012: Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall and Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou. In April 2013 the series was picked up for an anime adaptation. The anime series was produced by the newly formed Wit Studios. The series has grown in popularity since the anime’s debut, with the manga selling over 36 million copies as of April this year. Numerous game adaptations of the film were created following the anime, including a PlayStation 4 title. Two live action film adaptations were be released in Japan in 2015.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.
Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.
The second season of the Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) anime will air every Saturday on Tokyo MX at 11:00pm JST from April 1st, throughout the Spring 2017 anime season. Further information about the series will be revealed at a later date.
“Attack on Titan”, “Shingeki no Kyojin”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Hajime Isayama, Kodansha, Wit Studio and Shingeki no Kyojin Production Committee