Update: Corrected number of chapters. Also Sorayomi made a statement regarding why the manga is ending.
The latest issue of Shonen Sunday magazine has announced that Daichi Sorayomi’s Keijo!!!!!!!! (Hip Whip Girl) manga will have its final chapter in next week’s issue. The manga will end after a total of 18 volumes and 177 chapters.
There are rumours going around pertaining to the reason of the series’ sudden end. One reason is that the TV anime adaptation’s poor sales is what led to the sudden decision to end the manga. According to alleged posts by the manga’s creator, poor anime sales has led to the series getting cancelled. The Blu-ray and DVD releases of the anime were poorly received in Japan, with each volume selling only ~750 copies for a total of ~3,750 Blu-rays across its 5 volumes.
The Keijo!!!!!!!! anime aired during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season in October 2016 for a total of 12 episodes. A total of 6 OVAs were also produced and bundled with the Blu-ray volumes.
The main cast of the TV anime includes:
- Lynn (Maya Kyoudou from Sabagebu!) voicing as Nozomi Kaminashi
- Mao Ichimichi (Kazumi Schlierenzauer from Gokukoku no Brynhildr) as Sayaka Miyata
- Kaede Hondo (Kukuru Nonomoto in Fushigi na Somera-chan) will voice Kazane Aoba
- Saori Oonishi (La Folia Rihavein in Strike the Blood) voicing the role of Non Toyoguchi
The production staff includes:
- Director: Hideya Takahashi (Fantasista Stella, Pokémon: The Origin)
- Series Composer: Takao Kato (Pandora Hearts and To Love-Ru Director)
- Anime Character Designer: Keiya Nakano (Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm, Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky)
- Animation Studio: Xebec (To LOVE-Ru, Soukyuu no Fafner)
Keijo!!!!!!!! (Hip Whip Girl) is a ecchi sports manga written and illustrated by Daichi Sorayomi. The series began publication in Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday in 2013 and has a total of 15 published volumes to date. Volume 16 will release in Japan in May, Volume 17 in June and Volume 18 this July.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Kaminashi Nozomi (17) is an exceptional gymnast. So much so that colleges with some of the best gymnastic programs are trying to recruit her. Unfortunately for them, she has other plans. Due to her family being extremely poor, money is everything to her. That’s why she wants to step into the world of “Keijo.” “Keijo” is a type of gambling sport where girls stand on a small floating platform and compete against one another. The aim is to push the other contestant off of the platform into the water, but they are only allowed to use their butt or breasts to push the others off. Will Nozomi be able to compete in the intense world of “Keijo” and bring wealth and fortune for her family?
The Keijo!!!!!!!! manga will have its final chapter in the next issue of Shonen Sunday magazine. The manga will end after a total of 18 volumes and 170+ chapters.
“Keijo!!!!!!!!”, “Hip Whip Girl”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Daichi Sorayomi, Shogakukan, Xebec and the Japan Keijo Promotion Committee