The official website of the anime adaptation of Yasuhiro Nightow’s Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) manga has confirmed that the upcoming second season, Kekkai Sensen & Beyond, will premiere this October. In addition, a Blu-ray boxset of the first season was announced.
The second season of the anime will broadcast this October on MBS, Tokyo MX and BS11. The air window was first revealed in an advertisement flyer at AnimeJapan 2017. It will run for 12 episodes and will follow the manga more faithfully.
A Blu-ray boxset of the first season will release on June 21st, for ¥29,800 (~ US$270.00). The boxset will contain all 12 episodes and the bonus OVA, all on 6 Blu-ray discs in 1080p HD. The release will also come with a bonus disc containing:
- Non credited versions of the Opening and Ending themes
- Collection of promotional videos, trailers and commercials
- Select songs
The boxset will also come with a special digipak drawn by character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto, a limited edition case illustrated by Nightow, and a drama CD with transcript.
Here is the commercial for the boxset:
Various chains and stores around Japan are offering bonus incentives for pre-ordering at their locations:
- Toho store – A4 sized bar mirror
- Animate – A5 sized canvas art
- Animate – two rubber straps
- Amazon Japan – F3 canvas art and A4 clear file
- Tower Records – B2 poster
- sofmap – B3 fabric poster
- Tsutaya – set of 3 character art
- HMV – A3 sized poster
The main cast of the first season will return for the second:
- Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu Emiya in Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night) is voicing the role of Klaus von Reinhertz
- Daisuke Sakaguchi (Shinpachi Shimura in Gintama) as Leonard Watch
- Kazuya Nakai (Roronoa Zoro from One Piece) will voice Zapp Renfro
- Yuu Kobayashi (Sasha Blouse from Attack on Titan) is voicing Chain Sumeragi
- Mitsuru Miyamoto (Maiza Avaro in Baccano!) voices Stephen A. Starphase
- Ai Orikasa (Ryouko Hakubi in Shin Tenchi Muyo!) voicing as K. K.
- Shinji Ogawa (Franz von Stresemann from Nodame Cantabile) as Gilbert F. Altstein
- Yuuma Uchida (Yuuma Kousaka in Gundam Build Fighters Try) will voice Sonic Speed Monkey
- Hikaru Midorikawa (Kyousuke Natsume from Little Busters!) voicing as Zed O’Brien
The majority of the staff also returns for the second season, however a new director will helm the series:
- Director: Shigehito Takayanagi (Tokyo ESP, The World God Only Knows)
- Script Writer: Kazunao Furuya (Debut role)
- Anime Character Designer: Toshihiro Kawamoto (Cowboy Bebop, Gosick)
- Art Director: Shinji Kimura (Ao no Exorcist Movie, Steamboy)
- Animation Studio: Studio BONES (Hitsugi no Chaika, Captain Earth)
Here is the announcement video for season 2:
Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) is a manga from Yasuhiro Nightow that began in 2008 as a one shot series. Kekkai Sensen was published in Shueisha’s Jump Square magazine, with a 3 part special releasing in 2009. The manga became a regular series in 2010 and ended after a total of 10 volumes. A sequel manga, titled Kekkai Sensen Back 2 Back began in 2015 and currently has 2 published volumes. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for 2015 that aired for a total of 12 episodes. Nightow is most known for this other manga Trigun, which ended that year with Trigun Maximum, the series also had an anime adaptation in 1998.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
A breach between Earth and the netherworlds has opened up over the city of New York, trapping New Yorkers and creatures from other dimensions in an impenetrable bubble. They’ve lived together for years, in a world of crazy crime sci-fi sensibilities. Now someone is threatening to sever the bubble, and a group of stylish superhumans is working to keep it from happening.
The second season of the Kekkai Sensen anime, titled Kekkai Sensen & Beyond, will air on MBS this October during the Fall/Autumn 2017 anime season. Further details about the anime will be revealed in the near future.
“Kekkai Sensen & Beyond”, “Kekkai Sensen”, “Blood Blockade Battlefront”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Yasuhiro Nightow, Bones Inc., Shueisha and the Kekkai Sensen Production Committee