The official website of Studio Trigger’s Little Witch Academia TV anime has revealed the full details for the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD volumes of the anime where it revealed that the anime will have a total of 25 episodes, but it will be a split cour series.
The anime is a split cour series meaning that it will air the first half of the 25 episodes this season, take a break during the Spring 2017 anime season and will return with the remaining half during the Summer 2017 anime season.
There will be a total of 9 Blu-ray and DVD volumes of the anime. The first 7 volumes will contain 3 episodes each with the final 2 volumes containing 2 episodes. The volumes will also contain a 48 page booklet and 2 chariot cards, as well as a limited edition case. Each of the Blu-ray volumes will be retailing for ¥6,800 (~ US$58.50) and the DVD volumes retailing for ¥5,800 (~ US$49.90) each without tax.
The release dates of the volumes are as follow:
- Volume 1 (Episodes 1 – 3) – April 19
- Volume 2 (Episodes 4 – 6) – May 17
- Volume 3 (Episodes 7 – 9) – June 21
- Volume 4 (Episodes 10 – 12) – July 19
- Volume 5 (Episodes 13 – 15) – August 9
- Volume 6 (Episodes 16 – 18) – September 13
- Volume 7 (Episodes 19 – 21) – October 18
- Volume 8 (Episodes 22, 23) – November 15
- Volume 9 (Episodes 24, 25) – December 13
The Little Witch Academia TV anime is currently airing every Sunday on Tokyo MX at midnight. The anime also airs on Mondays on BS11 at 12:30am JST. The anime is also available on Netflix Japan.
The main cast from the previous anime will return to reprise their roles:
- Megumi Han (Hime Shirayuki from Precure All Stars) will return as Atsuko Kagari
- Fumiko Orikasa (Satsuki Momoi in Kuroko’s Basketball) as Lotte Yanson
- Michiyo Murase (Mogutan from Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama) is voicing Sucy Manbavaran
- Yoko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama from K-ON!) is back to voice Diana Cavendish
- Arisa Shida (Ameno in Naruto: Shippuuden) voices Amanda O’Neill
- Rie Murakawa (Hotaru Ichijou from Non Non Biyori) returns to voice Constanze von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger
- Reina Ueda (Naru Sekiya in Hanayamata) as Jasminka Antonenko
- Noriko Hidaka (Masumi Sera from Detective Conan) voicing as Ursula
- Hidaka also returns to voice Shiny Chariot
The production staff of the TV anime includes a mixture of returning personnel and new members:
- Director and Original Character Designer: Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia, Gurren Lagann Parallel Works)
- Series Composer: Michiru Shimada (Little Witch Academia, Little Busters!)
- Anime Character Designer: Shuhei Handa (Medaka Box)
- Art Director: Masanobu Nomura (Seitokai Yakuindomo, K)
- Music Composer: Michiru Oshima (Little Witch Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Sound Director: Jun Watanabe (Little Witch Academia: Mahoujikake no Parade, Bakuman.)
- Animation Studio: Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill, Inferno Cop)
Here is the anime’s first promotional video:
And here is the second PV:
Little Witch Academia is an original anime short produced by Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill, Inferno Cop) for the 2013 Anime Mirai project. The project itself is funded by the Japanese Government’s Agency for Cultural Affairs to train new and upcoming animators. The anime itself was a 26 minute special that was directed by Yoshinari Yoh (Gurren Lagann Parallel Works) who also designed the character designs for the anime and written by Masahiko Otsuka (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt). The anime’s staff returned to produce a sequel movie titled Little Witch Academia: Mahoujikake no Parade in 2015 following a successful Kickstarter.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
In her admiration of Shiny Chariot, a famous witch renowned for her unorthodox yet enchanting spells, Kagari Akko, an ordinary girl, joined Witch Academia in the hope of someday becoming as spectacular as Shiny Chariot. She is determined to become a graduate of Witch Academy and make her dream come true despite not being from a lineage with witchcraft and wizardry.
The story takes places when Akko, along with her two best friends, Lotte Yansson and Sucy Manbavaran, take their first lessons to become witches; however, Akko is furious when she finds out that Shiny Chariot is not as popular in the world of the witches as she had thought.
The Little Witch Academia TV anime will be a 2 cour show running for a total of 25 episodes as a split cour series (second half airing during Summer). It currently airs every Sunday at Midnight on Tokyo MX, during the Winter 2016/2017 anime season.
“Little Witch Academia”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Studio Trigger and the Little Witch Academia Production Committee