Australian and New Zealand anime licensor and distributor Madman Entertainment has announced that they will be bringing the original anime film of Tsutomu Satou and Kana Ishida’s Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) light novel series to Australia on November 2nd. The release will be a limited run..
The film, titled Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo (The Irregular at Magic High School: The Girl Who Summons the Stars), will be shown on over 15 locations across Australia. Details about locations and times can be found on the Australian website for the film: http://www.madmanfilms.com.au/mahoukamovie/
Madman has also released an English subtitled trailer for the film:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo released in Japan earlier this year on June 17. The film follows an original story drafted by Satou.
Here is the film’s synopsis:
The seasons have changed, and it will soon be the second spring. The poor student older brother Tatsuya and the honor student younger sister Miyuki have finished their first year at their magic high school, and are on their spring break. The two go to their villa on the Ogasawara Island archipelago. After only a small moment of peace, a lone young woman named Kokoa appears before them. She has abandoned the Naval base, and she tells Tatsuya her one wish.
The main cast of the film includes:
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) voices Tatsuya Shiba
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Miyuki Shiba
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma from Kiniro Mosaic) voicing Erika Chiba
- Takuma Terashima (Shiroe from Log Horizon) voiced as Leonhart Saijou
- Satomi Sato (Ritsu Tainaka from K-ON!) played the role of Mizuki Shibata
- Atsushi Tamaru (Ayato Amagiri in Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) will voice Mikihiko Yoshida
- Sora Amamiya (Miia from Monster Musume) voicing as Honoka Mitsui
- Yuiko Tatsumi (Riko Suminoe from Kiss x Sis) returns as Shizuku Kitayama
- Konomi Ohara (Akane Mizuno in Tsuki ga Kirei) voicing Kokoa
The main members of the anime’s production staff were revealed, where a different studio and director will handle the animation than the 2014 anime:
- Director: Risako Yoshida (Diabolik Lovers More, Blood, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Unit Director)
- Series Composer: Tsutomu Satou and WriteWorks (Tsukimonogatari)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kana Ishida (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Aquarion Evol)
- Art Directors: Hiromasa Ogura (xxxHOLiC, FLCL) and Kazushi Fujii (Medaka Box, KonoSuba)
- Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)
- Music Composer: Taku Iwasaki (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Noragami)
- Animation Studio: 8-Bit (Grisaia no Kajitsu, IS: Infinite Stratos)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The irregular at magic high school) began as an online novel series written by Tsutomu Satou that ran from 2008 till 2011 for a total of 6 volumes. The supernatural school series was then picked up by Dengeki Bunko and under their imprint since July 2011 – with Kana Ishida illustrating. To date a total of 19 volumes have been published, the latest on March 10th. The series was adapted into an anime series during the Spring 2014 season for a total of 26 episodes; produced by Madhouse (Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate) and directed by Manabu Ono (A-Channel, Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon).
Here is the series synopsis:
Magic has been recognized and analyzed over the last century. What was once the realm of folklore and tales is now a formalized practice and applied science. And magicians—those capable of using magic to its fullest potential—hold the power to change the world on every conceivable level.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows Tatsuya Shiba, a magician who excels at magical combat and technical knowledge, and Miyuki Shiba, his sister and the heir of the Yotsuba family who Tatsuya is assigned to protect, as they begin their first day at a school for magicians known as First High School. However, the school segregates the students based on their entrance exam scores, with the best students (known as “Blooms”) being assigned to First Course and the worst students (known as “Weeds”) being assigned to the Second Course. Due to the exams not accounting for his talents, Tatsuya is placed in the Second Course, making him an irregular student within the magic high school.
The Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei anime film, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo, will be getting a limited Australian release on November 2nd. More information about the release, and other international releases, will be revealed at a later date.
“Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo”, “The Irregular at Magic High School: The Girl Who Summons the Stars”, “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”, “The irregular at magic high school”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Tsutomu Satou, Kana Ishida Madhouse, Dengeki Bunko and the Mahouka Anime Production Committee