During a recent NicoNico livestream, the staff of anime adaptations of Nisio Isin and Vofan’s Monogatari light novel series have announced that the upcoming second part of the Owarimonogatari TV anime, will air this August as a 2 day special. The anime’s website revealed a new visual.
The TV special will broadcast on August 12 and August 13 on Tokyo MX. The series will feature a new theme song, Shiori by ClariS.
Here is the first commercial for the 2017 anime:
The new anime will adapt the third volume of the Owarimonogatari novels, which was previously announced in March 2016. The final volume contains the Mayoi Hell, Hitagi Rendezvous and Ougi Dark story arc.
The first two volumes of the Owarimonogatari light novels were covered in the 2015 TV anime adaptation, which includes the Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, Sodachi Lost and Shinobu Mail story arcs. We compiled a comparison of the Blu-ray and TV versions.
The main cast of the 2015 Owarimonogatari anime includes:
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!) returns to voice Koyomi Araragi
- Kaori Mizuhashi (Miyako in Hidamari Sketch) is back as Ougi Oshino
- Marina Inoue (Laura Bodewig from IS: Infinite Stratos) joins the cast to voice Sodachi-Oikura
The anime’s staff is as follows:
- Series Director and Series Composer: Akiyuki Shinbo (Bakemonogatari, Hanamonogatari)
- Director: Itamura Tomoyuki (Monogatari Series Second Season, Tsukimonogatari)
- Series Composer: Fuyashi Tou (Nisekoi, Tsukimonogatari)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Akio Watanabe (Nisemonogatari, Tsukimonogatari)
- Music Composer: Kei Haneoka (Tsukimonogatari, Owarimonogatari)
- Animation Studio: Shaft (Nisekoi, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
The Monogatari series is a collection of light novels, created by Nisio Isin and illustrated by Vofan. The novels started in late 2005 and published under Kodansha’s Box imprint, where there has been a total of 16 volumes to date. The 17th volume will release on April 3rd, and the 18th and final volume releasing later this year. The light novels first received an anime adaptation titled Bakemonogatari, after the first volume, in 2009 from the animation studio Shaft (Nisekoi, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica). Since then a total of 12 novels has been animated by the same studio. The most recent adaptation, Tsukimonogatari, aired on New Years In addition, a drama CD, a PlayStation Portable game and many figures and figurines have been made based on the series. The final book of the Monogatari series, Zokuowarimonogatari, released on September 17th 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the first series:
Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who is almost human again after briefly becoming a vampire. One day, a classmate named Hitagi Senjōgahara, who infamously never talks to anyone, falls down the stairs into Koyomi’s arms. He discovers that Hitagi weighs next to nothing, in defiance of physics. Despite being threatened by her, Koyomi offers his help, and introduces her to Meme Oshino, a middle-aged homeless man who helped him stop being a vampire.
The final volume of the Owarimonogatari anime will broadcast on August 12 and 13 as a two episode special, covering volume 3. Further details about the anime will be revealed at a later date.
Source Article - Anime News Network
“Owarimonogatari”, “Monogatari”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Nisio Isin, Vofan, Shaft, Kodansha and Aniplex