Update: Corrected the airtime
The official website of the anime adaptation of Chika Umino’s Sangatsu no Lion (3gatsu no Lion/March Comes in like a Lion) manga has revealed that the series’ upcoming second season will premiere on October 14. In addition, the site has also revealed that season 2 will run for a total of 22 episodes.
Season 2 of Sangatsu no Lion will start broadcasting on NHK on Saturday, October 14th at 11:00pm JST. As with the first season, there will be a total of 22 episodes, making the second season a 2 cour series (airing over 2 consecutive seasons), with each episode being 25 minutes long.
Here is the announcement video for the second season:
The first season of the Sangatsu no Lion anime started airing on NHK from October 2016 in the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season. The first season also ran for 22 episodes.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Kengo Kawanishi (Tobirama Senju in Naruto) will lead the cast as Rei Kiriyama
- Ai Kayano (Menma in AnoHana) will voice Akari Kawamoto
- Kana Hanazawa (Kanade Tachibana from Angel Beats!) voicing as Hinata Kawamoto
- Misaki Kuno (Kate Hoshimiya from Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda) voicing the role of Momo Kawamoto
The leading members production of the anime includes:
- Director: Akiyuki Simbo (Bakemonogatari, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Anime Character Designer: Nobuhiro Sugiyama (Nisekoi, Arakawa Under the Bridge)
- Art Director: Seiki Tamura (K-ON!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
- Music Composer: Yukari Hashimoto (Golden Time, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun)
- Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama (Dog Days, Nisekoi)
- Animation Studio: Shaft (Bakemonogatari, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
Sangatsu no Lion (3gatsu no Lion/March Comes in like a Lion) is a slice of life manga written and illustrated by Chika Umino. The series began its publication in 2007 in Hakusensha’s Young Animal magazine. To date a total of 11 volumes have been published. The series itself won the 2011 Manga Taisho Award and the grand prize at the 2014 Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season and ran for 22 episodes.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
The protagonist is Rei, a 17-year-old shogi player. He lives by himself, not having a family, and does not go to school and has scarcely any friends. Among his acquaintances is a family, which consists of a young woman, Akari, and two young girls, Momo and Hinata, and who also keep a numerous number of cats.
The second season of the Sangatsu no Lion TV anime will air every Saturday on NHK from October 14th, during the Fall/Autumn 2017 anime season. Additional information about season 2 of the anime will be revealed at a later date.
“Sangatsu no Lion”, “3gatsu no Lion”, “March Comes in like a Lion”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Chika Umino, Hakusensha, Shafts and the Sangatsu no Lion Production Committee