At the end of the Yuri!!! on Stage live event in Chiba, it was announced that the original Yuri!!! On Ice TV anime will be getting a new anime film. The film itself will not be recapping the anime series, and will most likely feature an original story.
The Yuri!!! on Stage event was held at the Maihama Amphitheater and featured the anime’s main cast in attendance, who had a Q&A session. The event also sold various merchandise, such as mouse pads, posters, postcards and even jackets.
The entire event will be available to watch on Blu-ray and DVD. It will release on June 28 and will retail for ¥7,560 (~ US$67.80) and ¥7,020 (~ US$63.00) respectively.
A preview for a special video in the 6th Blu-ray and DVD volume was also previewed, which focuses on Yuri Plisetsky:
The 6th volume will release on May 26 and will also contain a special cookbook, audio commentaries and figure skating choreography by Kenji Miyamoto.
Yuri!!! On Ice premiered in October during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season for a total of 12 episodes.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mikado Ryuugamine from Durarara!!) is voicing Yuuri Katsuki
- Junichi Suwabe (Archer from Fate/stay/night) as Victor Nikifolov
- Kouki Uchiyama (Seiya Kanie from Amagi Brilliant Park) will voice Yuri Prisezki
- Kenji Nojima (Nobuchika Ginoza in Psycho-Pass) will voice Lee Seung Gil
- Satoshi Hino (Momonga from Overlord) as Emil Nekola
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) voices Otabek Altin
- Wataru Hatano (Hakuya Mitsumine in Mikakunin de Shinkoukei) is going to voice Georgi Popovich
- Hiroki Yasumoto (Germany from Hetalia) joins the cast as Christophe Giacometti
- Yuutaro Honjou (Ao Fukai in Eureka Seven AO) as Ji Guang-Hong
- Mamoru Miyano (Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate) will voice the role of Jean-Jacques Leroy
- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass) will join the cast to voice Takeshi Nishigori.
The leading members of the production staff consists of:
- Director and Script Supervisor: Sayo Yamamoto (Texhnolyze, Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna)
- Original Character Designer: Mitsurou Kubo (Moteki, 3.3.7 Byooshi)
- Anime Character Designer: Tadashi Hiramatsu (Parasyte -the maxim-, Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou)
- Figure Skating Choreography: Kenji Miyamoto
- Music Composers: Taro Umebayashi (Space Dandy) and Taku Matsushiba (Debut Role)
- Animation Studio: Mappa (Zankyou no Terror, Hajime no Ippo Rising)
The Yuri!!! On Ice anime project was created by manga artist Mitsurou Kubo (Moteki, 3.3.7 Byooshi) and anime director Sayo Yamamoto (Texhnolyze, Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna). Yamamoto helmed an anime short titled Endless Night for the 2015 Japan Animator Expo that focused on figure skating and is the basis of the anime. The TV anime aired in October 2016 during the Fall/Autumn 2016 anime season to a large and welcoming reception.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
The show’s story revolves around Yuuri Katsuki, who carried all of Japan’s hopes on his shoulders to win at the Gran Prix Finale ice skating competition, but suffered a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and half feels like he wants to retire, and half feels like he wants to continue ice skating. With those mixed feelings swirling inside him, he confines himself inside his parents house. Suddenly the five-time consecutive world championship ice skater Victor Nikiforov appears before him, and along with him is Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater who is already defeating his seniors. Victor and both Yuris take up the challenge on an unprecedented Gran Prix series.
Yuri!!! On Ice will be getting a brand new anime film that won’t be a recap/compilation film of the anime series. Further details about the movie will be revealed in the upcoming weeks.
“Yuri!!! On Ice”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Mitsurou Kubo, Sayo Yamamoto, Studio Mappa and the Yuri!!! On Ice Production Committee