Japanese television network AT-X has updated their listings for the month of April, where they have listed that the current ongoing 2020 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi When They Cry) anime project to run for at least 30 episodes. However, since the initial update, the listing has been removed.
The listing for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (Higurashi When They Cry New) showed that episode 30 of the anime would’ve premiered on the network on April 27th. Instead, the listings from episode March 30th until April 27th have been removed and replaced with “Undecided”.
The anime has been confirmed for a total of 24 episodes run.
The main cast of the previous anime series returns for the anime:
- Soichiro Hoshi (Tomoki Sakurai in Sora no Otoshimono) as Keiichi Maebara
- Mai Nakahara (Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad) voices Rena Ryuugu
- Satsuki Yukino (Kagome Higurashi in InuYasha) as Mion Sonozaki
- Satsuki Yukino also voices Shion Sonozaki
- Mika Kanai (Kaguya Sumeragi in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) returns to voice Satoko Houjou
- Yukari Tamura (Suzuha Suzuha from Steins;Gate) as Rika Furude
- Tooru Ookawa (Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist) voicing as Jirou Tomitake
- Toshihiko Seki (Senketsu in Kill la Kill) as Kyousuke Irie
- Chafurin (Juzo Megure from Detective Conan) voicing Kuraudo Ooishi
- Miki Itou (Taiga Fujimura in Fate/stay night) as Miyo Takano
- Yui Horie (Tsubasa Hanekawa from Bakemonogatari) as Hanyuu
The anime’s production staff includes:
- Director: Keiichiro Kawaguchi (Sket Dance, Minami-ke Tadaima)
- Series Composer: Naoki Hayashi (A3! Season Spring & Summer, Citrus)
- Anime Character Designer: Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, The World God Only Knows)
- Music Composer: Kenji Kawai (Higashi no Eden, Ghost in the Shell)
- Animation Studio: Passione (Rokka no Yuusha, Citrus)
Here is the anime’s latest PV:
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Higurashi When They Cry) is a mystery, horror sound novel series developed by 07th Expansion, a small doujin circle of developers. The first game in the series released in 2002 at Comiket for the PC with each subsequent game releasing in the following years till 2006. Each game featured a different scenario in an overarching plot. The game was eventually ported to the PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS and even on Android and IOS devices. The series gained a large following and sold over 500,000 copies, with a manga and light novel adaptation in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Also in 2006 was an anime adaptation produced by Studio Deen (Fate/Stay night, Rurouni Kenshin) and directed by Chiaki Kon (Golden Time, Junjou Romantica). The anime was then followed up with a sequel season and numerous OVAs, with a new adaptation in 2020. Additionally, two live-action films were released in 2008 and 2009. A sequel sound novel was released in 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
After moving into the quiet town of Hinamizawa, Maebara Keiichi spends his days blissfully in school often playing games with his local friends. However, appearances can be deceiving. One fateful day, Keiichi stumbles upon news of a murder that had occurred in Hinamizawa. From this point on, horrific events unfold in front of Keiichi, as he soon learns his close friends may not be all that they seem. Based on the amateur mystery game by 07th Expansion, the story is told in a series of different scenarios.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou is currently listed for a total of 24 episodes, airing every Thursday on Tokyo MX and BS11 at 11:30pm JST.
Visit the anime’s website here: https://higurashianime.com/
And follow the Twitter: @higu_anime