During the recent Mappa 10th Anniversary livestream, the studio revealed the first promotional video for the upcoming anime adaptation of Tatsuki Fujimoto’s Chainsaw Man. The anime’s website has also revealed the production staff working on the anime.
Here is the first footage for the Chainsaw Man anime:
The leading members of anime’s production staff include:
- Chief Director: Makoto Nakazono (Jujutsu Kaisen and DARLING in the FRANXX Episode Director)
- Director: Ryu Nakayama (Wake Up, Girls! and Gamers! Assistant Animation Director)
- Series Composer: Hiroshi Seko (Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan: Final Season)
- Anime Character Designer: Kazutaka Sugiyama (Mushoku Tensei)
- Art Director: Yusuke Takeda (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Guilty Crown)
- Music Composer: Kensuke Ushio (Liz to Aoi Tori, Koe no Katachi)
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Yuri!! on Ice, Attack on Titan: Final Season)
Chainsaw Man is an action-adventure manga written and illustrated by Tatsuki Fujimoto. The series began in 2018 and is published by Shueisha in their Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. To date, a total of 10 volumes have been published, with the 10th volume set to release in Japan on January 4, 2021. Since its debut, the manga has received numerous award nominations, including the 2019 Manga Taisho awards, the Tsutaya Comic Awards, and the upcoming Shogakukan Manga Awards. The manga has also reached over 11 million copies in circulation around the country.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Denji has a simple dream—to live a happy and peaceful life, spending time with a girl he likes. This is a far cry from reality, however, as Denji is forced by the yakuza into killing devils in order to pay off his crushing debts. Using his pet devil Pochita as a weapon, he is ready to do anything for a bit of cash.
Unfortunately, he has outlived his usefulness and is murdered by a devil in contract with the yakuza. However, in an unexpected turn of events, Pochita merges with Denji’s dead body and grants him the powers of a chainsaw devil. Now able to transform parts of his body into chainsaws, a revived Denji uses his new abilities to quickly and brutally dispatch his enemies. Catching the eye of the official devil hunters who arrive at the scene, he is offered work at the Public Safety Bureau as one of them. Now with the means to face even the toughest of enemies, Denji will stop at nothing to achieve his simple teenage dreams.
A TV anime adaptation of the Chainsaw Man manga has been announced and is currently in production.