At the conclusion of the 24th and final episode of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Gou (Higurashi When They Cry: New) anime, it was announced that a sequel anime titled Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu will premiere this July.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu will continue off where the recent anime left off, at the conclusion of Satokowashi-hen (Village Destroying Chapter).
Here is the teaser video for the upcoming season:
Japanese television network AT-X recently listed Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Gou to run for a total of 30 episodes, however, the network has since removed any listings after episode 24.
The main cast of the anime is expected to return:
- Yukari Tamura (Suzuha Suzuha from Steins;Gate) as Rika Furude
- Mika Kanai (Kaguya Sumeragi in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) returns to voice Satoko Houjou
- Soichiro Hoshi (Tomoki Sakurai in Sora no Otoshimono) as Keiichi Maebara
- Mai Nakahara (Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad) voices Rena Ryuugu
- Satsuki Yukino (Kagome Higurashi in InuYasha) as Mion Sonozaki
- Satsuki Yukino also voices Shion Sonozaki
- Tooru Ookawa (Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist) voicing as Jirou Tomitake
- Toshihiko Seki (Senketsu in Kill la Kill) as Kyousuke Irie
- Chafurin (Juzo Megure from Detective Conan) voicing Kuraudo Ooishi
- Miki Itou (Taiga Fujimura in Fate/stay night) as Miyo Takano
The anime’s production staff includes:
- Director: Keiichiro Kawaguchi (Sket Dance, Minami-ke Tadaima)
- Series Composer: Naoki Hayashi (A3! Season Spring & Summer, Citrus)
- Anime Character Designer: Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, The World God Only Knows)
- Music Composer: Kenji Kawai (Higashi no Eden, Ghost in the Shell)
- Animation Studio: Passione (Rokka no Yuusha, Citrus)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Higurashi When They Cry) is a mystery, horror sound novel series developed by 07th Expansion, a small doujin circle of developers. The first game in the series released in 2002 at Comiket for the PC with each subsequent game releasing in the following years till 2006. Each game featured a different scenario in an overarching plot. The game was eventually ported to the PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS and even on Android and IOS devices. The series gained a large following and sold over 500,000 copies, with a manga and light novel adaptation in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Also in 2006 was an anime adaptation produced by Studio Deen (Fate/Stay night, Rurouni Kenshin) and directed by Chiaki Kon (Golden Time, Junjou Romantica). The anime was then followed up with a sequel season and numerous OVAs, with a new adaptation in 2020. Additionally, two live-action films were released in 2008 and 2009. A sequel sound novel was released in 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
After moving into the quiet town of Hinamizawa, Maebara Keiichi spends his days blissfully in school often playing games with his local friends. However, appearances can be deceiving. One fateful day, Keiichi stumbles upon news of a murder that had occurred in Hinamizawa. From this point on, horrific events unfold in front of Keiichi, as he soon learns his close friends may not be all that they seem. Based on the amateur mystery game by 07th Expansion, the story is told in a series of different scenarios.
A sequel anime to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou has been announced as Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu, and will air this July.