The official website of the upcoming anime adaptation of Tsutomu Satou and Yu Mori’s Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei (The Honor Student At Magic High School) has revealed that the series will premiere this July. The series is a spin-off of Tsutomu Satou and Kana Ishida’s Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) light novel series.
The main cast of the anime includes the return of those from the main anime:
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) returns to voice Miyuki Shiba
- Sora Amamiya (Chizuru Ichinose from Kanojo, Okarishimasu) voices Mitsui Honoka
- Yuiko Tatsumi (Riko Suminoe from Kiss x Sis) as Shizuku Kitayama
The leading members of the production staff consist of:
- Director: Hideki Tachibana (DanMachi, Dragon Crisis! )
- Deputy Director: Takashi Watanabe (Freezing, Shakugan no Shana)
- Series Composer: Tsuyoshi Tamai (Inukami!,Jinsei)
- Anime Character Designers: Ryosuke Yamamoto (Dokyuu Hentai HxEros, Akanesasu Shoujo) and Takao Sano (Shomin Sample, Isekai Shokudou)
- Music Composer: Taku Iwasaki (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Noragami)
- Animation Studio: Connect (Strike the Blood, Ore wo Suki na no wa Omae Dake ka yo)
A brand new promotional video for the anime was also released:
Here is the previous promotional video:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The irregular at magic high school) began as an online novel series written by Tsutomu Satou that ran from 2008 till 2011 for a total of 6 volumes. The supernatural school series was then picked up by Dengeki Bunko in July 2011, with illustrations by Kana Ishida. To date a total of 29 volumes have been published; the latest volume released on June 9th. The series was adapted into an anime series during the Spring 2014 season for a total of 26 episodes; produced by Madhouse (Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate) and directed by Manabu Ono (A-Channel, Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon). The series was followed up by a film in June 2017, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo. The film featured new production, directed by Risako Yoshida (Diabolik Lovers More, Lostorage conflated WIXOSS) and produced by 8-Bit (Grisaia no Kajitsu, IS: Infinite Stratos).
Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei (The Honor Student At Magic High School) is a spin-off manga of the main story, written by Tsutomu Satou and illustrated by Yu Mori. The series ran from 2012 till 2020, under Kadokawa’s Dengeki Daioh magazine, for a total of 12 volumes.
The series itself is a spin-off of the main Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei manga, which follows Miyuki Shiba during the events of the parent story.
A century has passed since magic—true magic, the stuff of legends—has returned to the world. It is spring, the season of new beginnings, and a new class of students is about to begin their studies at the First National Magic University Affiliated High School, nickname: First High.
The TV anime of Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei will premiere this July during the Summer 2021 TV anime season.