The official website of the Free! anime franchise has revealed a brand new visual and trailer for the upcoming film, Free!-the Final Stroke- Part 1. The movie is set to release in theatres across Japan on September 17th.
The second trailer for part 1 of Free!-the Final Stroke- has been released:
Here is the previous trailer:
Free!-the Final Stroke- will be a two-part film series, with the first part set to release in theatres across Japan on September 17th. Part 2 is set to release on April 22nd, 2022.
The main cast will return to reprise their roles:
- Nobunaga Shimazaki (Shidou Itsuka from Date A Live) will return to voice Haruka Nanase.
- Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Hiroomi Nase from Kyoukai no Kanata) voiced Makoto Tachibana
- Tsubasa Yonaga (Aichi Sendou in Cardfight!! Vanguard) voicing as Nagisa Hazuki
- Daisuke Hirakawa (Makoto Itou from School Days) as Rei Ryugazaki
- Mamoru Miyano (Rintarou Okabe in Steins;Gate) voices the role of Rin Matsuoka
The films’ production staff includes:
- Director and Writer: Eisaku Kawanami (Free! and Hyouka Episode Director):
- Anime Character Designer: Futoshi Nishiya (Hyouka, Koe no Katachi)
- Animation Directors: Kohei Okamura (Musaigen no Phantom World and Violet Evergarden Key Animator) and Miku Kadowaki (Amagi Brilliant Park, Kyoukai no Kanata)
- Art Director: Shingo Kasai (K-ON! and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Background Artist)
- Music Composer: Tatsuya Katou (Mirai Nikki, Dr. Stone)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (K-ON!, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Clannad)
OLDCODEX will return to perform the main theme song of the film.
Free! (Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club) is a TV anime series adaptation of Kouji Ohji and Futoshi Nishiya’s High☆Speed! light novel. The light novel received an honourable mention in the 2011 Kyoto Animation Award contest, and to date, a total of 2 volumes have been published by Kyoto Animation. The anime adaptation aired from July 2013 for 12 episodes, animated by Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Clannad) and Animation Do – with the latter’s animation debut. The second season of the anime, Free! – Eternal Summer, aired in Summer 2014. A prequel film titled High☆Speed! -Free! Starting Days- was released in late 2015, with two compilation films releasing in Summer 2017 and a new original film in October 2017. There were also radio shows and drama CD volumes released to promote the two anime seasons. A third anime season, Free!-Dive to the Future-, aired during the Summer 2018 anime season.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The story revolves around Haruka Nanase, a boy who has always loved to be immersed in water, and to swim in it. Before graduating from elementary school, he participated in a swimming tournament along with his fellow swimming club members, Makoto Tachibana, Nagisa Hazuki, and Rin Matsuoka. After achieving victory, each of the boys went their separate ways.
Time passed, and in the middle of their uneventful high school lives Rin appears and challenges Haruka to a match, showing Haruka his overwhelming power. Not wanting it to end like this, Haruka, gathers together Makoto and Nagisa once again and brings a new member named Rei Ryugazaki to create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club in order to defeat Rin.
The first part of the Free!-the Final Stroke- film will release across Japan on September 17.