A third season of the anime adaptation of Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) has been officially announced following the broadcast of the second season’s final episode. In addition, the anime’s website has revealed 2 key visuals and a promotional video for season 3.
Season 3 of the anime will be titled Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc (Katanakaji Sato-hen) and will adapt the manga’s next canonical arc. The arc runs from volumes 100 – 127.
Here is the announcement video for season 3:
The main cast of the third season has been revealed as:
- Natsuki Hanae (Ken Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul) voicing Tanjirou Kamado
- Akari Kitou (Calen from Time Bokan 24) as Nezuko Kamado
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) voicing as the role of Zenitsu Agatsuma
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito in Sword Art Online) as Inosuke Hashibira
- Kengo Kawanishi (Rei Kiriyama in Sangatsu no Lion) will voice Muichiro Tokito
- Kana Hanazawa (Kanade Tachibana from Angel Beats!) as Mitsuri Kanroji
The leading members of the second season’s staff will return:
- Director: Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Symphonia the Animation, Tales of Zestiria the X)
- Anime Character Designer: Akira Matsushima (Maria-sama ga Miteru, Tales of Zestiria the X)
- Animation Studio: ufotable (Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai)
Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) is a supernatural, action manga written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge. The series ran from February 2016 until May 2020, published in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump. A total of 23 volumes have been compiled and published. The manga has enjoyed much success in Japan where over 40 million copies have been sold as of February 2020. The series received a TV anime adaptation in April 2019 for a total of 26 episodes. It was directed by Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Symphonia the Animation, Tales of Zestiria the X) and produced by ufotable (Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai). The anime was followed up with a sequel film in late 2020, which had a record-breaking run becoming the highest-grossing film of all time in Japan. A second season of the anime ran during the Winter 2021/2022 anime season.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Ever since the death of his father, the burden of supporting the family has fallen upon Tanjirou Kamado’s shoulders. Though living impoverished on a remote mountain, the Kamado family are able to enjoy a relatively peaceful and happy life. One day, Tanjirou decides to go down to the local village to make a little money selling charcoal. On his way back, night falls, forcing Tanjirou to take shelter in the house of a strange man, who warns him of the existence of flesh-eating demons that lurk in the woods at night.
When he finally arrives back home the next day, he is met with a horrifying sight—his whole family has been slaughtered. Worse still, the sole survivor is his sister Nezuko, who has been turned into a bloodthirsty demon. Consumed by rage and hatred, Tanjirou swears to avenge his family and stay by his only remaining sibling. Alongside the mysterious group calling themselves the Demon Slayer Corps, Tanjirou will do whatever it takes to slay the demons and protect the remnants of his beloved sister’s humanity.
The 3rd season of the Demon Slayer anime has been announced and will continue the story where season 2 left off.