Following the broadcast of the latest episode in the anime adaptation of Tatsuya Endo’s Spy×Family, the series announced that a second season is in production. In addition, a movie has also been green-lit. Both are slated to release in 2023.
The main cast of the first season includes:
- Takuya Eguchi (Hachiman Hikigaya from OreGairu) will lead the cast as Loid Forger
- Atsumi Tanezaki (Lisa Mishima from Zankyou no Terror) joins the cast to voice Yor Forger
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Anya Forger
- Yuuko Kaida (Shimei Ryomou from Ikkitousen) joins the cast to voice Sylvia Sherwood
- Hiroyuki Yoshino (Firo Prochainezo from Baccano!) as Franky Franklin
- Kazuhiro Yamaji (Jouji Saiga from Psycho-Pass) as Henry Henderson
The leading members of the anime’s production staff include:
- Director: Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Rurouni Kenshin)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kazuaki Shimada (Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara., Haifuri)
- Chief Animation Director: Kyoji Asano (Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass)
- Music Composer: NoW_NAME (Dorohedoro, Fairy gone)
- Sound Director: Shouji Hata (Fairy Tail, ReLIFE)
- Animation Studios: Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga) and CloverWorks (Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai, Persona 5: 5 the Animation)
Spy×Family is an action-comedy manga written and illustrated by Tatsuya Endo. The series began in early 2019 under Shueisha’s Shonen Jump+ online magazine, with a total of 10 compiled volumes released in Japan. Endo is known for a number of one-shot manga, including Witch Craze, ISpy and Ishi ni Usubeni, Tetsu ni Hoshi. Spy×Family has won a number of awards, including 1st place web manga at the 2019 Next Manga Awards and the 2020 Nationwide Bookstore Employees’ Recommended Comics. To date, the series has over 11 million copies are in circulation in Japan. A TV anime adaptation of the series was produced for the Spring 2022 anime season. Directed by Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Rurouni Kenshin) and produced by Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga) and CloverWorks (Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai, Persona 5: 5 the Animation), the series aired for 12 episodes. The anime is set to return in October 2022 for the remaining 13 episodes.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
For the agent known as “Twilight,” no order is too tall if it is for the sake of peace. Operating as Westalis’ master spy, Twilight works tirelessly to prevent extremists from sparking a war with neighboring country Ostania. For his latest mission, he must investigate Ostanian politician Donovan Desmond by infiltrating his son’s school: the prestigious Eden Academy. Thus, the agent faces the most difficult task of his career: get married, have a child, and play family.
Twilight, or “Loid Forger,” quickly adopts the unassuming orphan Anya to play the role of a six-year-old daughter and prospective Eden Academy student. For a wife, he comes across Yor Briar, an absent-minded office worker who needs a pretend partner of her own to impress her friends. However, Loid is not the only one with a hidden nature. Yor moonlights as the lethal assassin “Thorn Princess.” For her, marrying Loid creates the perfect cover. Meanwhile, Anya is not the ordinary girl she appears to be; she is an esper, the product of secret experiments that allow her to read minds. Although she uncovers their true identities, Anya is thrilled that her new parents are cool secret agents! She would never tell them, of course. That would ruin the fun.
Under the guise of “The Forgers,” the spy, the assassin, and the esper must act as a family while carrying out their own agendas. Although these liars and misfits are only playing parts, they soon find that family is about far more than blood relations.
A second season and anime movie of Spy×Family has been announced and is in production.