The official website of the upcoming anime adaptation of Yasuhiro Nightow’s Trigun, Trigun Stampede, has revealed that the series will premiere on January 7, 2023. In addition, the site has also revealed a brand new key visual, a new promotional video, and the first set of character designs.
The Trigun Stampede anime will begin its broadcast on Saturday, January 7th at 11:00 pm JST on TV Tokyo, TV Osaka, TV Aichi, TV Setouchi, and TV Hokkaido.
Here is the latest PV for the upcoming anime, which also previews the Opening theme song Tombi by Kvi Baba:
The first set of character designs have been unveiled for the anime’s main cast:
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito from Sword Art Online) leads the cast as Vash the Stampede
- Tomoyo Kurosawa (Kumiko Oumae from Hibike! Euphonium) as Young Vash
- Sakura Ando (First Major Role) will star as Meryl Stryfe
- Kenji Matsuda (Zebra in Toriko) as Roberto De Niro
- Junya Ikeda (Ataru Suruga in Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince) voices the role of Knives Millions
- Yumiri Hanamori (Ai Hayasaka from Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai) as Young Knives
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Reiner Braun in Attack on Titan) as Nicholas D. Wolfwood
- Koki Uchiyama (Izumi Miyamura from Horimiya) as Legato Bluesummers
- Tarako (Monokuma in Danganronpa 3) joins the cast to voice Zazie the Beast
- Ryusei Nakao (Frieza in Dragon Ball Z) as William Conrad
- Maaya Sakamoto (Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell) as Rem Saverem
The leading production staff members of Trigun Stampede consists of:
- Director: Kenji Mutou (Cavity Express)
- Series Composers and Scriptwriters: Shin Okashima (Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san), Tatsurou Inamoto (Koneko no Chi: Ponponra Daibouken, Detective Conan), Yoshihisa Ueda (Debut)
- Chief Designer: Nao Outsu (Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi, Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi )
- Concept Designer: Kouji Tajima (Attack on Titan Live Action Character Designer, and Chiisana Eiyuu Concept Artist)
- Music Composer: Tatsuya Katou (Mirai Nikki, Free!)
- Animation Studio: Orange (BEASTARS, Dimension W)
Trigun is a sci-fi action, adventure manga written and illustrated by Yasuhiro Nightow. The series ran from 1995 to 1997 under Tokuma Shoten’s Monthly Shonen Captain magazine, for a total of 3 compiled volumes. The manga was followed up by a continuation in 1997 titled Trigun Maximum, which ran until 2007 for a total of 14 compiled volumes. The series was adapted into a TV anime in 1998 for a total of 26 episodes. It was directed by Satoshi Nishimura (Hajime no Ippo, Ushio to Tora) and produced by studio Madhouse (No Game No Life, One Punch-Man). Trigun did not garner a large following within Japan but had better reception internationally, especially following the anime’s debut. An animated feature film titled Trigun: Badlands Rumble was released in 2010.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Vash the Stampede is the man with a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head. The reason: he’s a merciless villain who lays waste to all those that oppose him and flattens entire cities for fun, garnering him the title “The Humanoid Typhoon.” He leaves a trail of death and destruction wherever he goes, and anyone can count themselves dead if they so much as make eye contact—or so the rumors say. In actuality, Vash is a huge softie who claims to have never taken a life and avoids violence at all costs.
With his crazy doughnut obsession and buffoonish attitude in tow, Vash traverses the wasteland of the planet Gunsmoke, all the while followed by two insurance agents, Meryl Stryfe and Milly Thompson, who attempt to minimize his impact on the public. But soon, their misadventures evolve into life-or-death situations as a group of legendary assassins are summoned to bring about suffering to the trio. Vash’s agonizing past will be unraveled and his morality and principles pushed to the breaking point.
The upcoming Trigun anime, Trigun Stampede, will air every Saturday at 11:00 pm JST on TV Tokyo from January 7th, during the Winter 2022/2023 anime season.