The official website for the upcoming second anime adaptation of Ryohgo Narita and Suzuhito Yasuda’s Durarara!! light novel series has been updated with new information. It has been revealed that Durarara!!x2 will be split up into 3 cours, covering 3 different seasons: Winter 2014/2015, Summer 2015 and Winter 2015/2016. In addition the anime’s cast was revealed with their respective character designs, alongside the first full promotional video for Durarara!!x2.
Durarara!!x2 will be split up into three parts starting with the first season, Durarara!!×2 Sho, airing this January during the Winter 2014/2015 anime season. The next part is Durarara!!×2 Ten, which will be airing in July 2015 during the Summer 2015 anime season. And finally, the final part of the series, Durarara!!×2 Ketsu, will air from January 2016 in the Winter 2015/2016 anime season.
The main cast of Durarara!!x2 has been revealed. The cast currently consists of mostly returning characters and cast members alongside a few new ones. In addition, some basic character designs were also released. The cast includes:
- Miyuki Sawashiro (Shinon in Sword Art Online II) who will return to voice Celty Sturluson
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mahiro Fuwa from Zetsuen no Tempest) returning as Mikado Ryugamine
- Mamoru Miyano (Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate) is back to voice Masaomi Kida
- Kana Hanazawa (Akane Tsunemori in Psycho-Pass) as Anri Sonohara
- Hiroshi Kamiya (Levi in Attack on Titan) voicing as Izaya Orihara
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) will voice Shizuo Heiwajima
- Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) as Shinra Kishitani
- Yuichi Nakamura (Gray Fullbuster from Fairy Tail) voicing Kyohei Kadota
- Yuki Kaji (Eren Yeager in Attack on Titan) will voice Walker Yumasaki
- Ayahi Takagaki (Mikako Satsukitane in Sora no Otoshimono) is back to play as Erika Karisawa
- Takuma Terashima (Shiroe from Log Horizon) voicing as Saburo Togusa
- Hisako Kanemoto (Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury in Sailor Moon Crystal) voices Kururi Orihara
- Eri Kitamura (Yui from Angel Beats!) voicing as Mairu Orihara
- Daisuke Kishio (Tsukune Aono in Rosario to Vampire) will voice Kasuka Heiwajima
- Saki Fujita (Ao Nanami from Yozakura Quartet) will voice Ruri Hijiribe
In addition to the returning casts, here are the new members that will
- Mao Ichimichi (Kazumi Schlierenzauer from Gokukoku no Brynhildr) will join the cast as Vorona
- Yuuki Ono (Taiga Kagami in Kuroko’s Basketball) as Chikage Rokujo
- Kappei Yamaguchi (L Lawliet from Death Note) will voice Mizuki Akabayashi
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) who will voice Aoba Kuronuma
The anime’s supporting cast includes:
- Akio Ohtsuka (Batou in Ghost in the Shell) as Shingen Kishitani
- Kazuma Horie (Kaname Tanuma from Natsume Yuujinchou) voicing as Seiji Yagiri
- Sanae Kobayashi (Lucy from Elfen Lied) voices as Namie Yagiri
- Mariya Ise (Stocking Anarchy from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) will voice Mika Harima
- Misato Fukuen (Konjiki no Yami in To LOVE-Ru) who will voice Saki Mikajima
- Katsuyuki Konishi (Kamina in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) voicing Tom Tanaka
- Houchuu Otsuka (Jiraiya from Naruto) as Haruya Shiki
- Keiji Fujiwara (Tatsuya Kimura from Hajime no Ippo) who will voice Kinnosuke Kuzuhara
- Takaya Kuroda (Lord Darcia the Third in Wolf’s Rain) voicing as Simon Brezhnev
- Masaya Onosaka (Takeshi Momoshiro in Prince of Tennis) as Max Sandshelt
Here is the first full promotional video for Durarara!!x2:
The anime’s website also revealed additional members of the production crew:
- Director: Takahiro Omori (Durarara!!, Samurai Flamenco)
- Series Composer: Noboru Takagi (Durarara!!, Kuroko’s Basketball)
- Character Designer: Takahiro Kishida (Durarara!!, Baccano!)
- Chief Animation Director: Akira Takata (Durarara!!, Baccano!)
- Colour Key Artist: Hiromi Miyawaki (Durarara!!, Kuragehime)
- Music Composer: Makoto Yoshimori (Durarara!!, Baccano!)
- Animation Studio: Shuka (Debut)
Do note that all the listed staff are returning from the production of the first season, though Brains Base (Durarara!!, Baccano!), who produced the first anime season, is not credited. Newly listed animation studio Shuka are credited with the production.
Durarara!!x2 is part of the 10th anniversary celebration of the Durarara!! series created and written by Ryohgo Narita featuring art from Suzuhito Yasuda. The Light novel series began in 2004 published by ASCII Media Works’ Dengeki Bunko. The original light novels ended in January this year for a total of 13 volumes, but Narita has started a new series of light novels titled Durarara!! SH, set two years after the original’s conclusion. The first issue released this year on April 10th. The light novels received an anime adaptation in 2010 from animation studio Brains Base. In addition, two manga adaptations were also released and a few visual novels.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
In Tokyo’s downtown district of Ikebukuro, amidst many strange rumors and warnings of anonymous gangs and dangerous occupants, one urban legend stands out above the rest—the existence of a headless “Black Rider” who is said to be seen driving a jet-black motorcycle through the city streets.
Ryuugamine Mikado has always longed for the excitement of the city life, and an invitation from a childhood friend convinces him to move to Tokyo. Witnessing the Black Rider on his first day in the city, his wishes already seem to have been granted. But as supernatural events begin to occur, ordinary citizens like himself, along with Ikebukuro’s most colorful inhabitants, are mixed up in the commotion breaking out in their city.
Durarara!!x2 will be airing across three different seasons:Winter 2014/2015, Summer 2015 and Winter 2015/2016. More information about the series will be revealed at the Durarara!! event at Tokyo Ikebukuro’s Namja Town amusement park, from November 1st to January 7th.
So what do you think about the anime being separated into 3 cours? Let us know in the comments below.
Source Article and Images – Durarara!! Anime Website
Source Article – Anime News Network
“Durarara!!”, “Durarara!!x2”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2014 Ryohgo Narita, Suzuhito Yasuda, ASCII Media Works, Shuka inc., and Brains Base