At the recent AnimeJapan event, the staff of the anime adaptation of Akutami Gege’s Jujutsu Kaisen announced that the upcoming second season will premiere on July 6. In addition, a brand new visual, promotional video, and staff details were also revealed.
The second season of Jujutsu Kaisen will premiere on Thursday, July 6 at 11:56 pm JST on MBS and TBS. The series will also air on 28 affiliate channels.
A brand new promotional video has been released for season 2, revealing more details about the past of Satoru Gojo and Suguru Geto:
Here is the previous PV:
The main cast of the second season includes:
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) returns to voice Satoru Gojo
- Takahiro Sakurai (Shougo Makishima in Psycho-Pass) as Suguru Geto
- Aya Endou (Miyuki Takara from Lucky☆Star) voices the role of Shoko Ieiri
- Anna Nagase (Ushio Kofune from Summertime Render) joins the cast to voice Riko Amanai
- Takehito Koyasu (Dio Brando in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) as Toji Fushiguro
The anime’s staff have also been revealed, which includes a director change:
- Director: Shouta Goshozono (Jujutsu Kaisen Episode Director)
- Series Composer and Screenwriter: Hiroshi Seko (Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan The Final Season)
- Character Designers: Tadashi Hiramatsu (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu, Yuri!!! on Ice) and Sayaka Koiso (Rail Wars!, Peacemaker Kurogane)
- Sound Director: Yasunori Ebina (Naruto, Toaru Majutsu no Index)
- Music Composer: Yoshimasa Terui (Jujutsu Kaisen)
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Zankyou no Terror, Yuri!! on Ice)
Jujutsu Kaisen is a supernatural action manga written and illustrated by Akutami Gege. The series originally began as a short series titled Jujutsu Kaisen 0: Tokyo Toritsu Jujutsu Koutou Senmon Gakkou (Tokyo Metropolitan Magic Technical School) that ran for a total of 4 volumes from April 2017 till June 2017. The short series was published under Shueisha’s Jump GIGA magazine. Jujutsu Kaisen began in the following year in Shueisha’s Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, where a total of 22 volumes have been published. To date, over 50 million copies of the manga are in circulation. The series has also been nominated for the 65th Shogakukan Manga Awards in the Shounen division. The series has also received a spin-off light novel titled Jujutsu Kaisen: Iku Natsu to Kaeru Aki (Sorcery Fight: The Soaring Summer and Returning Autumn). An anime adaptation was produced for the Fall/Autumn 2020 anime season and ran for a total of 24 episodes. The series was animated by studio MAPPA (Zankyou no Terror, Yuri!! on Ice) and directed by Sung Hoo Park (The God of High School, Garo). The anime was followed up with a prequel film in 2021 titled Jujutsu Kaisen 0,
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Idly indulging in baseless paranormal activities with the Occult Club, high schooler Yuuji Itadori spends his days at either the clubroom or the hospital, where he visits his bedridden grandfather. However, this leisurely lifestyle soon takes a turn for the strange when he unknowingly encounters a cursed item. Triggering a chain of supernatural occurrences, Yuuji finds himself suddenly thrust into the world of Curses—dreadful beings formed from human malice and negativity—after swallowing the said item, revealed to be a finger belonging to the demon Sukuna Ryoumen, the “King of Curses.”
Yuuji experiences first-hand the threat these Curses pose to society as he discovers his own newfound powers. Introduced to the Tokyo Metropolitan Jujutsu Technical High School, he begins to walk down a path from which he cannot return—the path of a Jujutsu sorcerer.
The second season of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime will air on Thursdays at 11:56 pm JST on MBS from July 6, during the Summer 2023 anime season.