Anime has been around for over half a century, and with such a long history there has to be some form of repetition. Of course, each decade has seen its fair share of one particular dominating genre and one of the more recent trends in anime is ‘moe’. There have been many genres that increased with the moe boom such as the slice of life, harem and little sister genres. Of course, there are bound to be many rotten eggs in the basket with few standing out bright and tall. But which anime genres/tropes are ‘we’ tired off?
In a recent Biglobe Rankings poll, they asked just that. With just about 6000 people voting, the Harem genre takes 1st place of being overused at 691 votes, of the 6000 or so that voted. In second place is the Little Sister/ Imouto genre with 516 votes. Coming in third are any anime with large talent and budget, but failed to succeed – which may not even be a genre.
1. Harem Anime2. Little Sister/Imouto Anime
3. Anime with great Voice acting that doesn’t live up to expectations
4. Anime based on Eroge (Erotic games)
5. Anime with pretty boys
6. (tie) Action anime from Jump
6. (tie) Anime about school clubs
8. Chuunibyou Anime
9. Boobs, Anime Boobs or anything Busty
10. Looping anime, repeating events cause Time Travel
11. Anime with common everyday scenarios
13. Romance in School
14. Shoujo Anime
15. Yuri Anime – O.o
|Example of Harem Anime: Rosario + Vampire.
Example of Imouto Anime: Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Example of #3 is Kyou Kara Maou
In any case, do you agree that these genres of anime are getting dull and tiresome?