It has been almost a month since the Summer 2014 Anime season started and people are deciding their picks of the season already. Watchers have many options to view their favourite series of the season and one such way is via Sony’s Torne application. This application is native to Sony’s consoles in Japan and allows viewers to watch live anime on their TV, where they can also record for a later time.
Sony has released statistics for the most popular anime series during the current Summer 2014 anime season, viewed via Torne. The rankings for the top 20 Summer 2014 Anime on Torne (so far) are:
20. Majimoji Rurumo
|Website: http://anime-rurumo.com/||Twitter: @animerurumo, #るるも||Tweet: #るるも|
- Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Shounen
- Director: Chikara Sakurai (Little Busters!)
- Main Cast: Suzuko Mimori as Rurumo, Makoto Takahashi as Kouta
- Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Toradora!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
The anime is an adaptation of Wataru Watanabe’s manga of the same name.
Shibaki is a high-school boy whose only interest is girls. Except he’s been branded as the most hentai boy at school and the girls avoid him like the plague. One day he finds a book in the library about how to summon witches. He tries it as a joke, but it turns out to be the real thing. An apprentice witch named Rurumo appears to grant him a wish. Shibaki helps Rurumo and she in return refuses to take his soul. (This part of this story happened before the start of chapter1) When the story starts, Shibaki wishes he could see Rurumo again. His wishes is granted immediately as Rurumo falls from the sky and crash lands in front of him. He finds out that as punishment for not taking his soul she’s been busted down to an apprentice demon. Now, she must complete the task of getting Shibaki to use up 666 magic tickets that grant wishes before she can become a witch again. However, what she doesn’t know is that each time he uses a ticket it shortens his life. When the last ticket is used up, Shibaki will die. Shibaki knows this because Rurumo’s familiar black cat Chiro tell him as part of the “contract” for giving him the tickets. Now, Shibaki has a choice, make a wish and help Rurumo become a witch again or resist the temptation and try to save his own life.
|Website: http://www.vap.co.jp/jinsei/||Twitter: @jinsei_anime, #jinsei_anime||Tweet: #jinsei_anime|
- Genre: Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Romance, School, Slice of Life
- Director: Keiichiro Kawaguchi (Minami-ke Tadaima, Hunter × Hunter -The Last Mission-)
- Main Cast: Yasuaki Takumi as Yuuki, Hiyori Nitta as Rino, Moe Toyota as Fumi, Ayaka Suwa as Ikumi, Rena Maeda as Ayaka, Saori Oonishi as Emi
- Animation Studio: Feel (Minami-ke Tadaima, Outbreak Company)
The anime is an adaptation of Ougyo Kawashigi’s light novel series of the same name.
Yuuki Akamatsu, who is in the Kyuumon Gakuen Second News Club, is asked to become the counselor of the club immediately after joining the club by Ayaka Nikaidou, the club leader. Three girls currently give advice to issues sent in by the students: Rino Endou from the science stream, Fumi Kujou from the literary stream, and Ikumi Suzuki from the sports stream. However, the three always have different opinions and cannot get their views to agree, so they just try things out anyway…
18. Momo Kyun Sword
|Website: http://momokyun.com/||Twitter: @momokyun01, #モモキュン||Tweet: #モモキュン|
- Genre: Fantasy
- Director: Shinsuke Yanagi (Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS)
- Main Cast: Ayana Taketatsu as Momoko, Minami Tsuda as Onihime, Showtaro Morikubo as Sarugami, Asami Imai as Kijigami, Wataru Hatano as Inugami
- Animation Studio: Project No.9 (Ro-Kyu-Bu!, Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga.), Tri-Slash (Debut anime)
The anime is an adaptation of Kibidango Project’s light novel of the same name.
Momoko is a beautiful young sword fighter who was born inside a peach (momo in Japanese). She lives with her constant companions: the dog god Inugami, the monkey god Sarugami, and the pheasant god Kijigami, in a peaceful paradise. However, a demon army led by devil king invades the paradise and steals the precious treasure that protects Momoko’s land. To retrieve the treasure and save the people, Momoko embarks on a great adventure with her three companions.
|Website: http://hanayamata.com/||Twitter: @hanayamata_PR, #ハナヤマタ
- Genre: Slice of Life, Seinen
- Director: Atsuko Ishizuka (No Game, No Life, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
- Script Writer and Series Composier: Reiko Yoshida (K-ON!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
- Main Cast: Reina Ueda as Naru, Minami Tanaka as Hannah, Kaya Okuno as Yaya, Yuka Ootsubo as Tami, Manami Numakura as Machi
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (Death Note, Wolf Children)
The anime is an adaptation of Sou’s manga of the same name.
Normal appearance, normal intelligence, normal in arts and sports… just normal. This is the entirely normal 14-year-old, Naru Sekiya. While she admires “Heroines” she continues to live a normal life until one moonlit night she meets a fairy. This foreign girl then guides her into the extraordinary world of the yosakoi dance.
16. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
|Website: http://www.nozakikun.tv/||Twitter: @nozaki_anime, #nozakikun||Tweet: #nozakikun|
- Genre: Comedy, Romance, School, Shounen
- Director: Mitsue Yamazaki (Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun)
- Main Cast: Yuuichi Nakamura as Umetarou, Ari Ozawa as Chiyo, Mai Nakahara as Yuu, Nobuhiko Okamoto as
- Animation Studio: Doga Kobo (Yuru Yuri, GJ-bu)
The anime is an adaptation of Izumi Tsubaki’s manga of the same name.
Sakura Chiyo confesses to her crush, Nozaki-kun, but he mistakes her as a fan! Unable to convey her feelings, what happens when he invites her to his house? Find out in this hilarious series!
15. Futsuu no Joshikousei ga Locodol Yatte Mita.
|Website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/locodol/||Twitter: @locodol_anime, #ろこどる||Tweet: #ろこどる|
- Genre: Comedy, Seinen
- Director: Munenori Nawa (Kiss×sis, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu)
- Main Cast: Miku Itou as Nanako, Sachika Misawa as Yukari, Maya Yoshioka as Yui, Inori Minase as Mirai
- Animation Studio: Feel (Minami-ke Tadaima, Outbreak Company)
The anime is an adaptation of Kotaro Kosugi’s 4 koma manga of the same name.
The story is about the life of a high school girl, Nanako, and her senpai, Yukari, who end up becoming the town’s local idols (locodol) upon the request of her uncle.
15. Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
|Website: http://corona106.tv/||Twitter: @anime_6joma, #6jomadaho||Tweet: #6jomadaho|
- Genre: Comedy, Romance, School, Supernatural
- Director: Shin Oonuma (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Kokoro Connect)
- Main Cast: Yuuichi Nakamura as Koutarou, Maria Naganawa as Theiamillia, Eri Suzuki as Sanae, Masumi Tazawa as Kiriha, Nichika Oomori as Yurika
- Animation Studio: Silver Link (Kokoro Connect, Non Non Biyori)
The anime is an adaptation of the light novel series by Takehaya and Poco.
Due to young Koutarou’s financial circumstances, he is forced to live in a small rokujouma (6-tatami apartment) on a budget of 5000 yen a month. On the plus side, he lives rent-free, but on the minus side, that’s because room 106 of Corona Apartments is cursed. The ghost is a cute young girl, and hijinks ensue when she tries to drive him out. Between the haunting, Koutarou’s nosy neighbors, and a self-styled magical girl flying to the unneeded rescue, there’s way too much for the impoverished young man to handle.
13. Tokyo ESP
|Website: http://www.tokyo-esp.org/||Twitter: @tokyoesp_anime, #東京ESP||Tweet: #東京ESP|
- Genre: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural
- Director: Shigehito Takayanagi (The World God Only Knows, Galaxy Angel)
- Script Writer and Series Composer: Hideyuki Kurata (Oreimo, The World God Only Knows)
- Main Cast: Ibuki Kido as Rinka, Keisuke Koumoto as Kyoutarou, Sachika Misawa as Minami, Azusa Tadokoro as Murasaki, Mai Aizawa as Kobushi
- Animation Studio: Xebec (To LOVE-Ru, Pokemon: The Origin)
The anime is an adaptation of Hajime Segawa’s manga of the same name.
The science fantasy story Tokyo ESP begins with Rinka, an extremely poor high school girl who lives with just her father in modern Tokyo. One day, she is going home from school when she chases a “flying penguin” to the top of New Tokyo Tower—only to have “fish swimming in the air” suddenly appear before her. One of the fish goes through Rinka and gives her extraordinary powers beyond those of normal humans, particularly the ability to slip through solid objects.
|Website: http://www.barakamon.jp/||Twitter: @brkmn_anime, #brkmn_anime||Tweet: #brkmn_anime|
- Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
- Director: Masaki Tachibana (Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, .hack//Quantum)
- Music Composer: Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
- Main Cast: Daisuke Ono as Seishuu, Suzuko Hara as Naru
- Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus (Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Black Bullet )
The anime is an adaptation of Satsuki Yoshino’s manga.
As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!!
|Website: http://sabagebu.com/||Twitter: @sabagebu_anime, #sabagebu||Tweet: #sabagebu|
- Genre: Action, Comedy, Shoujo, Military
- Director: Masahiko Oota (Yuru Yuri, Love Lab)
- Character Designer: Masashi Kudou (Bleach, Hayate no Gotoku! Can’t Take My Eyes Off You)
- Main Cast: Nao Touyama as Kayo, Rumi Okubo as Urara, Lynn as Maya, Yumi Uchiyama as Miou, Ayaka Ohashi as
- Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot Plus (First major production)
The anime is an adaptation of Hidekichi Matsumoto’s manga of the same name.
Middle school girl Momoka is dragged into joining one of the strangest associations at her school, the Survival Game Club. Its members participate in various forms of paramilitary training under the watchful eye of charming and alarming president, Miou. How on Earth will the inexperienced Momoka survive her training, let alone Miou’s company?!
10. DRAMAtical Murder
|Website: http://dmmd-anime.com/||Twitter: @dmmd_TV_PR, #アニメドラマダ||Tweet: #アニメドラマダ|
- Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Psychological
- Director: Kazuya Miura (Debuting directing role)
- Main Cast: Atsushi Kisaichi as Aoba, Masatomo Nakazawa as Clear, Satoshi Hino as Noiz, Kenichirou Matsuda as Mink, Hiroki Takahashi as Koujaku, Ryouta Takeuchi as Ren
- Animation Studio: NAZ (Hamatora The Animation)
The anime is an adaptation of the manga, which is based on the yaoi visual novel from Nitro+Chiral.
The story takes place many years in the future where the game “Rhyme,” a virtual fighting game, is incredibly popular and people possess “AllMates,” convenient AI computers. Aoba leads an ordinary life, working at a junk shop and living with his grandmother on the island of Midorijima. Unlike his friends, he doesn’t participate in Rhyme, nor does he belong in a gang. However, when rumors of people disappearing spread, Aoba finds himself needing to unravel the mysteries behind the island in order to protect his everyday life.
9. Ao Haru Ride
|Website: http://aoha-anime.com/||Twitter: @aoha_anime, #aoha_anime||Tweet: #aoha_anime|
- Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo, Slice of Life
- Director: Ai Yoshimura (Oregairu)
- Script Writer and Series Composer: Tomoko Konparu (Kimi ni Todoke)
- Sound Director: Yukio Nagasaki (Love Live! School Idol Project, Dragon Ball Kai)
- Main Cast: Yuki Kaji as Kou, Maaya Uchida as Futaba, KENN as Aya, Ai Kayano as Yuuri, Mikako Komatsu as Shuuko
- Animation Studio: Production I.G. (Kuroko’s Basketball, Ghost in the Shell ARISE)
The anime is an adaptation of Io Sakisaka’s manga of the same name.
Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to “reset” her image & life as a new high school student. Because she’s cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn’t get her feeling across to the one boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun.
Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won’t be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?
8. Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
|Website: http://argevollen.com/||Twitter: @ARGEVOLLEN, #argevollen||Tweet: #argevollen|
- Genre: Action, Mecha
- Director: Atsushi Ootsuki (Working’!!, To LOVE-Ru)
- Mecha Designer: Kenji Teraoka (Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch, Blood+)
- Main Cast: Ryota Ohsaka as Susumu, Saori Oonishi as Jamie, Hiroshi Tsuchida as Samonji, Sayaka Oohara as Saori
- Animation Studio: Xebec (To LOVE-Ru, Pokemon: The Origin)
This is an original anime.
The story takes place in a world where two countries, Arandas and Ingelmia, have been warring against each other for a very long time. Tokimune, a young man belonging to the eighth autonomous unit of Arandas, saves a girl named Jamie when she is attacked by enemy forces. In order to survive, he rides the new weapon Argevollen and fights.
7. Persona 4 The Golden Animation
|Website: http://www.p4ga.jp/||Twitter: @P4_A, #P4G_A||Tweet: #P4G_A|
- Genre: Adventure, Mystery, School, Super Power, Supernatural
- Director: Tomohisa Taguchi (Persona 3 the Movie 2: Midsummer Knight’s Dream)
- Chief Director: Seiji Kishi (Persona 4 The Animation, Angel Beats!)
- Main Cast:
- Daisuke Namikawa as Yuu, Kana Hanazawa as Marie, Showtaro Morikubo as Yosuke,
- Yui Horie as Chie, Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko, Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma, Tomokazu Seki as Kanji, Romi Paku as Naoto
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail)
The anime is an adaptation of Persona 4 Golden on the PlayStation Vita, an enhanced release of the original Persona 4.
Persona 4 takes place in a rural town named Inaba. There have been mysterious murders occurring whenever there was fog after heavy rain. There were also rumors about a channel on television airing only at midnight called Mayonaka TV, during which it is said that one can see his/her “other half” when staring at the TV screen.
After hearing about a recent unsolved murder which occurred during the fog, the characters—Narukami, Chie, and Yosuke—discuss how each of them had attempted to watch the mysterious TV channel and witnessed the murder victim. The protagonist later realizes that during midnight when the channel is on, his body can phase into his television set as a gateway to enter another world infested with shadows.
After discovering this, they all decide to explore. When first completely entering the world, dazed and confused, Narukami meets Teddie. Mayonaka TV and the town murders seem to have a connection. The murder victims may be merely victims of Mayonaka TV. Everyone decides that they will together try to solve the mysterious murders by exploring the hidden world of Mayonaka TV.
6. Akame ga Kill!
|Website: http://akame.tv/||Twitter: @akame_tv, #akame_anime||Tweet: #akame_anime|
- Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy
- Director: Tomoki Kobayashi (Amagami SS, Utawarerumono)
- Music Composer: Taku Iwasaki (Gurren Lagann, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
- Main Cast: Sora Amamiya as Akame, Souma Saito as Tatsumi, Yukari Tamura as Mein, Yuu Asakawa as Leone, Mamiko Noto as Schere
- Animation Studio: White Fox (Steins;Gate, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?)
- Production: Toho Animation (Haikyuu!!, Yowamushi Pedal)
The anime is an adaptation of Takahiro and Tetsuya Tashiro’s manga of the same name.
In a fantasy world, fighter Tatsumi sets out for the Capitol to earn money for his starving village, and finds a world of unimaginable corruption, all spreading from the depraved Prime Minister who controls the child Emperor’s ear. After nearly becoming a victim of this corruption himself, Tatsumi is recruited by Night Raid, a group of assassins dedicated to eliminating the corruption plaguing the Capitol by mercilessly killing those responsible.
5. Rail Wars!
|Website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/railwars/||Twitter: @rw_anime, #rw_anime||Tweet: #rw_anime|
- Genre: Action
- Director: Yoshifumi Sueda (Debut directing role)
- Main Cast: Jun Fukuyama as Naoto, Manami Numakura as Aoi, Maaya Uchida as Haruka, Satoshi Hino as Shou
- Animation Studio: Passione (Haitai Nanafa)
The anime is based on Takumi Toyoda and Vania600’s light novel series ail Wars!-Nihon Kokuyuu Tetsudou Kouantai-.
The “dream railway paradise entertainment” story is set in a parallel world where Japan did not privatize its national railways. Naohito Takayama is an ordinary high school boy who dreams of a comfortable future working for the top-rated Japanese National Railways. He is assigned as a trainee in the Railways Security Force full of odd characters such as Sakurai, a troublemaker who hates men. On top of that, an extremist group called “RJ” plots to privatize the Japanese National Railways.
|Website: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/||Twitter: @aldnoahzero, #aldnoah||Tweet: #aldnoah|
- Genre: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
- Director: Ei Aoki (Fate/Zero)
- Creator and Lead Writer: Gen Urobuchi (Fate/Zero, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Series Composer: Katsuhiko Takayama (Mirai Nikki, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, Boku no Pico)
- Music Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan)
- Main Cast: Natsuki Hanae as Inaho, Kensho Ono as Slaine, Sora Amamiya as Asseylum
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail)
A brand new original mecha anime from Gen Urobuchi and Olympus Knights.
In 1972, the Apollo 17 mission discovered a hypergate to Mars on the surface of the moon. Soon, a war breaks out between Earth and Mars, and Martian soldiers begin to descend from the sky, riding steel giants, intent on exterminating humanity.
3. Tokyo Ghoul
|Website: http://www.maql.co.jp/special/tokyoghoul/||Twitter: @tkg_anime, #tkg_anime
- Genre: Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological
- Director: Shuhei Morita (Kakurenbo, Freedom)
- Main Cast: Kana Hanazawa as Rize, Natsuki Hanae as Ken, Sora Amamiya as Touka
- Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot (Kingdom, Naruto Shippuden)
The anime is an adaptation of the manga by Sui Ishida.
The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious “ghouls” who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.
2. Zankyou no Terror
|Website: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/||Twitter: @zankyono_terror, #zantero||Tweet: #zantero|
- Genre: Psychological, Thriller
- Director: Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Space☆Dandy)
- Music Composer: Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
- Main Cast: Kaito Ishikawa as Shin, Soma Saito as Fuyuji, Atsumi Tanezaki as Risa
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Hajime no Ippo: Rising, Sakamichi no Apollon)
The anime is an original series.
In an alternate version of the present, Tokyo has been decimated by a shocking terrorist attack, and the only hint to the identity of the culprit is a bizarre video uploaded to the internet. The police, baffled by this cryptic clue, are powerless to stop the paranoia spreading across the population.
While the world searches for a criminal mastermind to blame for this tragedy, two mysterious children—children who shouldn’t even exist—masterfully carry out their heinous plan. Cursed to walk through this world with the names Nine and Twelve, the two combine to form “Sphinx,” a clandestine entity determine to wake the people from their slumber—and pull the trigger on this world.
1. Sword Art Online II
|Website: http://www.swordart-online.net/||Twitter: @sao_anime, #SAO_anime, #saoa2||Tweet: #sao_anime #saoa2|
- Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Game, Romance
- Director: Tomohiko Itou (Sword Art Online, Gin no Saji)
- Music Composer: Yuki Kajiura (Fate/Zero, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami (Psycho-Pass, The World God Only Knows)
- Main Cast: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Kirito, Miyuki Sawashiro as Sinon, Haruka Tomatsu as Asuna, Ayana Taketatsu as Leafa, Rina Hidaka as Silica, Ayahi Takagaki as Lisbeth
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Fairy Tail, AnoHana)
The second season of Sword Art Online based on Reki Kawahara’s light novel series.
1 year after the SAO incident, Kirito is approached by Seijiro Kikuoka from Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Department “VR Division” with a rather peculiar request.
That was an investigation on the “Death Gun” incident that occurred in the gun and steel filled VRMMO called Gun Gale Online (GGO). “Players who are shot by a mysterious avatar with a jet black gun lose their lives even in the real world…” Failing to turn down Kikuoka’s bizarre request, Kirito logs in to GGO even though he is not completely convinced that the virtual world could physically affect the real world.
Kirito wanders in an unfamiliar world in order to gain any clues about the “Death Gun.” Then, a female sniper named Sinon who owns a gigantic “Hecate II” rifle extends Kirito a helping hand. With Sinon’s help, Kirito decides to enter the “Bullet of Bullets,” a large tournament to choose the most powerful gunner within the realm of GGO, in hopes to become the target of the “Death Gun” and make direct contact with the mysterious avatar.1231
And these are the 20 most popular anime series so far on Sony’s Torne application, for the first few weeks of the season. Are the rankings surprising? Do you feel any other series should’ve been higher, lower, on or off the list?