At the recent Wake Up, Girls! Festa 2016 Super Live event, it was announced that a brand new TV anime series of Wake Up, Girls!, titled Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou (Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter), is in production for a 2017 broadcast. Additionally, the anime’s website launched revealing more information.
The main cast from the previous anime will reprise their roles:
- Mayu Yoshioka (First Major Roles) returning as Mayu Shimada
- Airi Eino (First Major Role) will return as Airi Hayashida
- Minami Tanaka (Hannah N. Fontanstand in Hanayamata) voicing as Minami Katayama
- Yoshino Aoyama (First Major Role) voices Yoshino Nanase
- Nanami Yamashita (Chifuyu Himeki from Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de) will reprise her role of Nanami Hisami
- Kaya Okuno (Yaya Sasame in Hanayamata) will be back to voice Kaya Kikuma
- Miyu Takagi (Hacka Doll No. 1 from Hacka Doll Anime Special) as Miyu Okamoto
In addition to returning staff, there is also a call out looking for new voice actresses joining the main cast. The Wake Up, Girls! Audition is being held until the16th and is looking to find the voices to 3 new characters that will debut in the 2017 anime.
The majority of the staff members from previous anime will also return, though with a new director, character designer and animation studio:
- Director: Shin Itagaki (Berserk 2016, Teekyuu)
- Scriptwriter: Green Leaves
- Anime Character Designer: Miyuki Sugawara (Usakame Animation Director)
- Music Composer: MONACA (Hanayamata, Oregairu)
- Animation Studio: Millepensee (Berserk 2016, Teekyuu)
The first trailer for the new Wake Up, Girls! anime was also revealed at the event:
Wake Up, Girls! is an original anime series project produced by animation studios Ordet (Senyuu., Black★Rock Shooter) and Tatsunoko Productions (Ping Pong The Animation, SKET Dance). The series aired in January 2014 for a total of 12 episodes, in conjunction with the animated prequel film Wake Up, Girls! Shichinin no Idol. The idol anime was directed by Yutaka Yamamoto (Senyuu., Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku) with Touko Machida (Lucky Star, Amnesia) handling the series composition and Sunao Chikaoka (Kyo no Gononi, Hen Semi) designing the characters. The anime was followed up by two movies in late 2015.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Green Leaves Entertainment is a tiny production company on the verge of going out of business in Sendai, the biggest city in Japan’s northeastern Tohoku region. The agency once managed the careers of magicians, photo idols, fortune-tellers, and other entertainers, but its last remaining client finally quit. In danger of having zero talent (literally), the president Tange hatches an idea of producing an idol group. On the brash president’s orders, the dissatisfied manager Matsuda heads out to scout raw talent. Matsuda makes a fateful encounter with a certain girl…
A brand new Wake Up, Girls! TV anime, titled Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou, is currently in production and will air sometime in 2017. Further information about the new series will be revealed in due time.
"Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou", "Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter", "Wake Up, Girls", images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Avex Pictures, Millepensee and Green Leaves Entertainment