The final trailer has been released for the upcoming Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale anime film, two weeks before its Japanese debut. The new video introduces to us the titular AR game, Ordinal Scale, the film’s antagonist, and a flurry of action sequences. A shorter 30second version of the trailer was also released as a commercial. Both videos preview the main theme song: Catch the Moment by LiSA.
Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale will release in theatres across Japan on February 18th, 2017. The movie will be out in the United States and Australia on March 9th.
Here is the 30 second commercial:
Here is the film’s first full theatrical trailer.
The second full trailer:
And the third trailer:
The film will release on Saturday, February 18th in Japan in over 150 theatres. It is projected that Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale will release in over 1000 screens around the world.
The main cast of the previous two anime seasons will return in the upcoming movie with new original character designs:
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Sora in No Game No Life) will be back to voice Kirito
- Haruka Tomatsu (Haruka Takayama in Sakura Trick) returns as Asuna
- Kanae Itou (Ruiko Saten from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun) voicing as Yui
- Rina Hidaka (Airi Kashii in Ro-Kyu-Bu!) as Silica
- Ayahi Takagaki (Mikako Satsukitane in Sora no Otoshimono) will voice Lisbeth
- Ayana Taketatsu (Kirino Kousaka from Oreimo) voicing Leafa
- Miyuki Sawashiro (Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!) is back as Sinon
- Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji from One Piece) will return to voice Klein
- Hiroki Yasumoto (Germany from Hetalia) as Agil
- Koichi Yamadera (Togusa in Ghost in the Shell) will reprise his role as Akihiko Kayaba
The new characters that will debut in the film includes:
- Sayaka Kanda (Shioji from Gamba: Gamba to Nakama-tachi) will voice Yuna
- Takeshi Kaga (Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef) will voice Dr. Shigemura
- Yoshio Inoue (Debut Role) as Eiji
The Director of first two seasons, Tomohiko Ito (Silver Spoon, Seikimatsu Occult Gakui), will return to direct the film alongside Anime Character Designer Shingo Adachi (Working!!, Galilei Donna). Yuki Kajiura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Fate/Zero) will also return to compose the music and A-1 Pictures (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, AnoHana) will be back to animate the film. Reki Kawahara will be writing the movie’s original story.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
1 year after the SAO incident, Kirito is approached by Seijiro Kikuoka from Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Department “VR Division” with a rather peculiar request.
That was an investigation on the “Death Gun” incident that occurred in the gun and steel filled VRMMO called Gun Gale Online (GGO). “Players who are shot by a mysterious avatar with a jet black gun lose their lives even in the real world…” Failing to turn down Kikuoka’s bizarre request, Kirito logs in to GGO even though he is not completely convinced that the virtual world could physically affect the real world.
Kirito wanders in an unfamiliar world in order to gain any clues about the “Death Gun.” Then, a female sniper named Sinon who owns a gigantic “Hecate II” rifle extends Kirito a helping hand. With Sinon’s help, Kirito decides to enter the “Bullet of Bullets,” a large tournament to choose the most powerful gunner within the realm of GGO, in hopes to become the target of the “Death Gun” and make direct contact with the mysterious avatar.